Advice on painting basement with oil-based paint

I'm planning on painting a previously painted (almost 80 y.o.) basement floor with oil-based floor/concrete paint.

I've used latex for all my main floor walls, ceilings, etc. -- so I don't have much experience with oil-based paints.

  • Do I need to turn off the pilot lights (for an extended period) on my gas water heater and furnace -- or will opening the windows be enough ventilation (if painted in the spring)?

  • Is the gloss surface going to be a safety concern (slipping)?

Use of the basement is mainly for laundry, workbench, storage, etc -- no "living" areas.

Thanks in advance for any help / advice.

Mike

Reply to
MJD509

The fumes wont explode but will explode you, the fumes are toxic and bringing fresh air in is a smart idea, put a fan in a window to suck out air. It will be slipery wet, sand additive can be added in or sprinkled on top. But sand makes it wear faster . So maybe sand near only the laundry area. Sand also hold a bit of dirt.

Reply to
m Ransley

basement

Do you need to remove the existing paint before painting the floor? I am just wondering whether the new paint will stick well with the existing paint. If the paint manufacturer suggests removing the existing paint, you will have a lot of hard work in front of you because removing paint from concrete floor is a very difficult job (and probably not very healthy); if this is the case, you may be better off just leave the floor alone.

Jay Chan

Reply to
jaykchan

That should be good enough but I'd also add an exhaust fan to move air through the space. Even a pilot light can create lots of monoxide and very smelly unburned hydrocarbons.

Probably not unless the floor gets wet. If this is a concern there are additives you can mix into the paint. I add a handful of fine sand into deck paint for exterior applications.

Steve Manes Brooklyn, NY

Steve Manes

Jay , any paint can be painted over, clean and sand, thats it.

Reply to
m Ransley