what to do with unopened paint?

Hello, We called the paint contractors and specified a color that our HomeOwners association rejected so now we have 15 Gallons of unopened, unused exterior paint (latex and Peach color) from Benjamin Moore.

Are there any places that take these and maybe pay for them?

They are brand new (just mixed in).

Please let me know of any good options I have.

Thank you!

Reply to
ap

You could try habitat for humanity. Or some other local charity that offer help to low income people. They won't pay, but may give you a tax receipt "charitable donation"

AMUN

Reply to
Amun

Craig's List is free and amazingly good at helping you get a few bucks for that kind of stuff from locals.

Or, you could hire some toughs to quietly roll part of it onto the front of the house of the president of your HomeOwner's association at 3 AM some night soon. :-)

Jeff (Who would never live in a place subject to those kind of restrictions.)

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

The intersection of "Homeowners association" and "good options" is a null net.

Goedjn

Reply to
Goedjn

You might be able to get a tax credit if you donate it to a local Habitat for Humanity.

Reply to
Jim Tiberio

I don't know much about paint, so maybe this is a dumb idea...

Can you mix in some coloring to get to a color that is approved? I would expect you could take peach to brown easily enough.

Reply to
Toller

Move? Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Good idea. Most Moore dealers are pretty competent and can do things with paint that you'd never know it was something different.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I'm amazed by those who join any homeowners association, fail to read the rules, and then complain later when they have to live by the rules they agreed to. I don't think that the original poster was bitching, but you seem to be.

Reply to
Gideon

You're probably going to have to settle for a tax credit. It is very unlikely that you'll find anybody who will pay you much for the paint. Go to a big box store such as HD and check the "mistint" area in the paint section. Such paints have very low market value.

If you want to donate the paint, consider some local Boy Scout troops, who can give you a tax receipt. Often the paint can be retinted for an adequate color on an Eagle Scout project. The Scouts do a lot of free painting and often need the paint. Many local retailer will donate a free re-tinting service on 15 gallons of paint for a group such as the Scouts.

Reply to
Gideon

I'm amazed at the number or people that join any homeowners association. If I'm going to be part of a cattle drive, I want to ride a horse, not run with the herd.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Edwin Pawlowski wrote I'm amazed at the number or people that join any homeowners association. If I'm going to be part of a cattle drive, I want to ride a horse, not run with the herd.

=========

In gereral, I agree. Unfortunately, we often have little choice in life and we have to enter into agreements that we'd prefer to avoid. A 70 year-old wishing to move into a condo is going to have no choice but to join the homeowners' association. A parent who wants his child to participate in youth activities is going to face signing agreements and waivers which a sane person would never voluntarily sign. But the choice is "sign or don't participate."

Reply to
Gideon

You mean to tell me the homeowners assoc rejected the paint because of the color? That's just plain assenine. One good reason I never join crap like that. I am an old farmer, and to be perfectly honest, I'd tell them where to shove it. I guess thats why us farmers live in the country, because we dont put up with crap like that......

Anyhow, you might want to post the approximate location where you live. If by the one in a million chance you were near me, I might consider buying it if the price was right. My barn needs a coat of paint and I am always looking for bargains. Peach would probably look just fine too.

Of course there is always the online auctions, but the shipping would probably be outrageous.

There was a farmer a few years ago that got into a hassle with his bank. I do not recall the details but I think they refused a loan or something for no real reason. Anyhow, the farmer loaded his manure spreader with some nice fresh hog manure and in the middle of the night, he sprayed the bank, being sure the doors were coated with at least one foot of nice sloppy shit.

Do you know anyone that has a high powered high pressure pump that runs off a 12volt battery? Possibly a pressure washer of sorts. Toss it. along with the paint into your pickup. Add some hose and a nozzle and go for a midnight drive past your homeowners assoc building. Be sure all windows are well coated to prevent any light from entering.

Reply to
maradcliff

You must not be in Florida, because half of Florida is painted peach. Come on down, park your truck and hang a sign. :o)

Out of curiosity, what does your HOA document say about paint colors? What does the HOA document say about violation of the color code? Fine? Lien?

I got a chuckle from the post about using your peach paint on a barn..that's more un-American than HOA's :o) But, then, HOA board's are everyone's chance to be a dictator, even if they don't have their own country. :o) Remember the hoohaw over a sick child's playground structure in Florida? This is, maybe, your chance for 15 minutes of fame :o)

Reply to
Norminn

If you just want to get rid of it you could see if there is a local freecycle group and offer it up there.

But you won't get any money or a tax writeoff by going this route.

You could try listing in on ebay with buyer pickup required if you have a local ebay region. (I sold an air conditioner this way.)

Reply to
adrian