SMART Socket

The only Wi-fI network that is shown is my BT Home hub .... I select that and enter BT hub password. It then goes into discovery .... (show a decreasing 2 min timer.) At end of which display on App on phone says no device found.

Reply to
rick

Okay, so you *have* connected to the smart socket Wi-Fi and in that sense it has been found.

With my shelly devices once I put in my Wi-Fi password, the device’s local Wi-Fi is turn off and it will no longer appear on my phone’s list of available Wi-Fi networks. At this point I add the device to the app and I often have to add it manually using its IP address (get this from my router at this stage).

Definitely often ends up being more complicated that it ought to be but I always get there in the end. Sounds like you have too.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Is there a pairing button and LED on the socket?

The LED needs to flash at a certain rate, to indicate it is in pairing to the router mode. The instructions with the unit should give some clues about flash speed and long short button presses.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

It does ..... 1 per second shows its in pairing mode

Reply to
rick

The device WiFi network never appears on my phone only my BT n/w It states that initial pairing is by BlueTooth ..... so maybe that is different to what was on devices you used previously ?

Sort of assuming .... BlueTooth gives initial connectivity and passes details to phone, then Wifi Connection takes over, then it registers it on the cloud.

Reply to
rick

Is your phone and Android? *

That aside, once set up, your phone should control things - it is just the set up phase that seems to be a pain.

  • While I’ve not experienced the same problem, I have seen an issue with an Android phone setting up to interface to my car. The phone refused to stay connected to the ‘mini webserver ‘the car uses unless all other networks were disabled - the phone prefers on which has an internet connection. An inspired guess is, if you have an Android phone, you may be seeing something similar.
Reply to
Brian

Ah! Bluetooth. No experience of devices using that to do the initial setup.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+