Netbook, back again

<snip good info>

It's just yet another ongoing cost (if not limited or on your own kit etc).

Good to hear, thanks.

Noted.

And that's fine, if they are well designed but it seems much of this stuff is coming directly from China with a Chinglish manual and 'bitsy' UI. I think the Synology boxes have a bit of a reputation for the latter, with some utility overlap confusing the issue.

And that would be ok, but I wasn't sure if it was the same thing as the specific mention of WOL here:

"Power Consumption - Wake on LAN 1.0W"

I might have considered it to mean 'wake on access' if they hadn't specifically used the term Wake on Lan (which I have set / used etc)? I might just be being wary because I've experienced cheap NAS's in the past that require 'special software' to use them fully (that then becomes an issue when using numerous machines and Linux etc).

That would be much more doable John. ;-)

;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

'They (the manufacturers of the NAS provide a free) DNS service if ...', do you mean (and I hope). ;-)

Is it also 'easy' to access stuff remotely from work (where she can't install any extra software but does have open web access) to home without using a VPN, say if daughter wanted to access some work photos she'd taken and processed at home (rather than having to move via USB drive etc)?

Would it simply be a matter of pointing a browser at her (free) personal address, connecting, authenticating and browsing / downloading etc?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Well the point about the personal bit is using your NAS as the storage, and just providing access to it like it were in the cloud. So it does not as such represent an ongoing cost other than the lekky to run the NAS (which you would be paying anyway).

Sounds like its real WoL :

John Rumm

I tried a docker install of nextcloud on fedora the other week, it didn't fill me with confidence ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Understood (thanks for clearing up my 'if' above). ;-)

<snip>

Agreed, thanks again John.

I'm going to stick the TeraStation back on the power monitor socket. When I first got it it wasn't on the LAN and I saw it quickly go to sleep (40W to 7W).

I wiped it, re-configured it to RAID1 and put it online but it seems to be active all the time?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m