netbook connectivity problem.

Can we carry on with the fan wiring instead?

Reply to
Jim K..

:-)

Stick with it Andy, I am appreciating your nouse (& patience!)

Reply to
Jim K..

Like Andy told you then? Does it work now?

Reply to
Jim K..

Do read the thread before jumping in & "helping"...

Reply to
Jim K..

Mmm the dream helpline combo of Turnip & D i m ...

I reckon the OP's got it working & is too much of a tw*t to say so & also a "thanks"

Reply to
Jim K..

My PC is working ok but asus netbook will not connect.it is getting the signal but wont connect.

Signal strength is excellent.

I have tried `repair` but no joy.

It was connecting last Time I used it (I only use for hols) a couple of months back.

No changes have been made by me since last used.

What to try next? I havent a clue on this stuff.

Reply to
ss

Is this via Wi-Fi or cable?

If Wi-Fi, are you sure it is trying to connecting to your own signal? Round here, I get a choice of about a dozen.

Just that if you last used it elsewhere, it may have forgotten your own Wi-Fi password, or whatever.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What OS is it running?

(Often getting it to "forget" the details of an existing connection and then re-making it can help)

Reply to
John Rumm

Have you got a "Pair WPS" button on your WiFi router?

Try pressing it while your netbook is trying to connect to it and see what happens (you'll have to wait for it go through the motions - it wopn't be instantaneous).

Logging on to the router might shed some light on the problem. To quote the old maxim: "When all else fails, read the instructions!"

If you haven't got them or lost them, try looking for them on line.

Reply to
Terry Casey

Using wi-fi all located where I normally use it. The connection is the correct one I have checked with the modem The connection is saved as `connect automatically` Against the connection for here it states `Limited or no connectivity`with a 5 bar green connection signal.

Other message:

`This problem ocurred because the network did not assign a network address to the computer`

Network Connection details: Physical address 1C-4B-D6-xx-xx-xx IP address 169.254.72xx Subnet mask 255.255.0.0 default gateway DNS server WINS server

Reply to
ss

What router? What OS on the netbook

What happens if you manually assign a IP and default gateway to the netbook wifi adapor (using an address that is not inside the DHVP address pool being allocated by the router)

Reply to
John Rumm

Then unsave it and re-connect.

I'd hazard a guess that somewhere in the bowels of your network stack a certificate is borked. Especially if you've been "off grid" for a while and the clocks have drifted.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

you've connected to the actual wifi network, but your router hasn't allocated you an IP address, so the computer has "invented" one which is not much good, try rebooting your router.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Well worth trying a router reboot.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

............Router Virgin hub 3.0 Win xp

Dont even know where to start on the above.

Tried pair WPS ....no change Tried reboot on router ......no change.

Message when trying to connect: windows was unable to find a certificate to log you on to Virgin media.

Reply to
ss

Maybe..

dennis

Home networks rarely require certificates to connect to wifi (it's more for corporate networks) as suggested elsewhere tell windows to "forget" the virgin wifi network, then re-connect to it, and hopefully it should request a passphrase instead.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I will try that, so what one of these three do I use.

wi-fi network name password settings password

Reply to
ss

Assuming those are three pieces of info printed underneath the router?

You'd connect to the named wifi network, and give it the password when prompted.

The settings password is presumably for getting into the admin section on the router, if you've previously used that to change the wifi name and/or password all bets are off if you didn't make a note of the new values ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

What OS are you using? On mine, if you hover the pointer over the one you want to connect to, it tells you what encryption it is using.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)