failed connecto wi-fi

Ausus Eee PC notebook, winxp I only use for going on hols and turned on today to update but it wont connect to house wi-fi (virgin) previous to this it was ok.
Message "windows was unable to find a certificate to log you on to the network virgin media."
It appears to be stuck at validating identity.
Apart from charging the battery every 4 weeks it has not been properly used since May. I have rebooted the device several times.
Any ides to resolve would be helpful.
ss wrote:

Normally a home network would use a pre-shared key rather than a certificate like an enterprise network, try forgetting and manually re-creating the wifi connection?
<https://kb.netgear.com/7334/Validation-and-Certificate-errors-in-Win-XP-and-Vista
Andy Burns wrote:

Or maybe easier to just disable 802.1x
<https://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/windows-was-unable-to-find-a-certificate-to-log-you-on-to-the-network/

Could it be that the clock is out?
Cheers, T i m
T i m wrote:

Possible, but I normally associate that with kerberos problems logging on to windows domains ...
On 18/07/2018 17:00, Andy Burns wrote:

The clock is ok and I have disabled 802.1x and still no connection.Its still trying to validate idenity.
Maybe you forgot you changed the password. I've seen this happen.
Most times deleting the connection and making a new manual one fixed this sort of silliness. Can you actually see a list of connections, could it be trying to get on the wrong one? If its been used elsewhere often it gets its knickers in a twist over which preferred connection is which. Brian
--
----- --

So this Netbook has previously connected to the same router with no changes since the last time?
Do you have another AP / Hotspot (phone) you could try connecting to?
Do you have a Live Linux USB you could try on there (my eeePC is running Mint).
Cheers, T i m
On 18/07/2018 17:47, T i m wrote:

Checked my wifes laptop and that was working, Tried an old laptop that wouldnt work, so phoned Virgin. They reset the modem but still wouldnt work, the guy eventually gave up and said I could go through to technical but would cost £30....no thanks! So I came off the phone and reentered the password and ....hey presto it was working, now tried the old laptop re entered the password and thats also working. All back to normal now.
<snip> >Checked my wifes laptop and that was working, Tried an old laptop that

;-(

Bizarre. I have sometimes found resetting the router (I'm with VM but set their router into modem mode and use my own) cures the most obscure of faults.

Sweet.
Enjoy yer hols. ;-)
Cheers, T i m
On Wed, 18 Jul 2018 22:56:49 +0100, T i m wrote:

Best to. They have modified the base router code to crap.
On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 06:05:02 -0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk

I sorta have to as my router (FritzBox! FON WAN) carries two VOIP lines.
Cheers, T i m