Be wary of SkyLink and there suggested free TV channels

I see the scam is back, selling a device which '....gives you access to free channels, which the broadcasters don't want you to have.'
It will do all it says, but it is just a cheap ineffective indoor freeview antenna. It will get you all the Freeview channels and nothing more, but only if you have a good indoor signal from your local terrestrial transmitter. Absolutely nothing more, but you will pay them an hefty sum for the antenna.
On 19:24 18 Jul 2018, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Which are the the Freeview channels "the broadcasters don't want you to have"?
Surely Freeview broadcasters want you to get all their channels.
Pamela wrote :

Its just the companies spiel, to get people to buy their product that gets you nothing extra that you cannot get even better with a normal rooftop TV antenna and a normal Freeview TV receiver.
It is a con which was identified long ago, but under a different company name. A company selling 'a magical' indoor antenna, at a very high cost, with a lot of technobable to try to present it as something it is not.
What they are saying in their ad, is that the likes of Sky, Netflixs and etc. would not want you to know you can get all these channels (Freeview) for free. That you will buy their magic indoor antenna to receive them.
On Wed, 18 Jul 2018 21:46:45 +0100

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's a US thing which has little relevance to the UK, but is based on the American cable system.
Avoid at all costs.
--
Davey.

After serious thinking Davey wrote :

Yes, it is a US thing, but they are advertising them again over here. A question was asked in this ng a few months ago, about a company promoting a similar scam device under a different name.

Absolutely, unless you enjoy donating to scams..
Yes this is an old one and I never did see how this ever fooled anybody. Brian
--
----- --
Brian Gaff has brought this to us :

Not everyone has a technical understanding and the blurb is well written so as to hide what the are actually selling. I doubt anyone would get a refund when they discovered what they had in fact bought, because it delivers exactly what it promises - extra free channels if you are a subscriber to the pay services.
snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAM.tiscali.co.uk says...

I think your 'technical understanding' could be better because anyone who subscribes to the pay services already gets all of the free channels, anyway.
Where do your 'extra' free channels come from?
--

Terry

Terry Casey wrote:

They don't. It's aimed at yanks who are probably used to getting a certain number of channels over their cable connection, and have to pay to get others, and aren't used to TV over an aerial, so don't realise they have the option of free to air digital channels ...

Does every single pay TV service carry all the FreeView stuff?
--
*We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-44915060
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

Was a guy on the news last night bemoaning Virgin removing UK TV. A normal TV in the backgound, in what appeared to be a newish building. With no UHF aerial?
--
*If tennis elbow is painful, imagine suffering with tennis balls *

Dave Plowman wrote:

An aerial would let him get Dave etc, but not Gold etc.