How does a Wi-Fi only tablet route on Google Maps when on the road?

Recently, I noticed that, on a WiFi-only tablet, the Google Map App was "tracking" me while on the road, where the WiFi-only tablet definitely does not have a GPS chip nor does it have a cellular capability.

Since this was a surprise to me that a WiFi-only tablet could "route" on top of an offline (aka "OK MAPS") google map while driving on the road, I was telling someone about it, who asked this question:

Q: Is Google using previously stored WiFi AP SSIDs in the offline maps to locate your position, or, is the tablet's Wi-Fi automatically connecting to open APs, and hence giving away the location by that method?

Reply to
Ragnusen Ultred

It WILL have a gps in it. Over 99% of tablets today - and cell phones - have GPS. I don't think Apple makes an I-Pad without GPS.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

An app can query the GPS in your tablet and plot the position using local geodata that was downloaded when you were connected.

Reply to
rbowman

Check the rear of the car. There may be a long cord attached.

Reply to
micky

My tablet will show me my position without GPS. I often connect to Xfinity hot spots, but don't use it on the road.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

On Thu, 29 Mar 2018 14:47:47 -0700, Ragnusen Ultred wrote: | Recently, I noticed that, on a WiFi-only tablet, the Google Map App was | "tracking" me while on the road, where the WiFi-only tablet definitely does | not have a GPS chip nor does it have a cellular capability. |

That screen shot is from an iPad. Notice the little arrow up in the top right corner, next to the 18% battery indicator? That means GPS is active.

I don't think Apple have ever made an iPad without a GPS chip.

| Since this was a surprise to me that a WiFi-only tablet could "route" on | top of an offline (aka "OK MAPS") google map while driving on the road, I | was telling someone about it, who asked this question: | | Q: Is Google using previously stored WiFi AP SSIDs in the offline maps to | locate your position, or, is the tablet's Wi-Fi automatically connecting to | open APs, and hence giving away the location by that method?

Reply to
Paul Colquhoun

Then you might want to tell me where it is cause I can't find mine within my WiFi only Apple iPad Air. In fact, I had to purchase a separate GPS adapter in order to use mapping apps or use my phone as a hotspot. Otherwise, there isn't any GPS in it.

Reply to
Meanie

Are you certain it's WiFi only? I'm not a tech wizard but I cannot see how it would connect to GPS without one.

According to Apple support, iPads with WiFi only do not have GPS capability. iPads with WiFi and Cellular do have GPS capability.

My WiFi only iPad Air does not have GPS. I had to purchase a separate GPS adapter to use mapping apps or connect via my phones hotspot.

Reply to
Meanie

Then someone better tell Apple support. According to them, the WiFi only models have no GPS capabilities. I can attest to that since my WiFi only iPad Air isn't capable of GPS connectivity on it's own.

Reply to
Meanie

nope. it means an app is using location services to obtain the user's location, which can be done without a hardware gps (and even if there is a hardware gps, it's not always used).

they did and still do.

wifi-only ipads do not have gps or cellular.

Reply to
nospam

So, the question remains. Assuming the OP is correct and he has a tablet that does not have GPS or cell service, how is it showing him where he is on maps while traveling?

Reply to
trader_4

My error - I was wrong.

There - I said it!

LTE ipads have GPS - their useless ipad 2 (totally brain dead) and other wifi pads appaerntly do not. I guess all my flying buddies using Ipads for flight planning and navigationhave LTE units.

Another reason I HATE the "Fruit-pads" Even the lowliest Android, and the bottom end BlackBery Playbook had a real GPS in them.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Lousy "Fruit" products. $1200 for the dang things and $200 worth of features you can use and $1000 for the "snob factor"

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I didn't thinkl so either, but upon checking they made a whole crapload of them.

Basically anything without at least 3G data capability has NO GPS.

Imagine - all that expensive yuppy crap with no basic location service other than triangulating from wifi??? When a GPS chip is less than $5

- on a board ready to connect to an arduino. Cost to apple must be less than a buck.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

The only way I saw Bod's reply was through your response to him. Therefore, I'm using it to tell the whining wanker to pay attention to the topic. I wasn't discussing a phone nor was the OP. It's "tablet" or in this case, iPAD.

Don't you have some other issue that doesn't concern you to worry about?

Reply to
Meanie

I have to stand somewhat corrected. The above mention of Apple products (iPads) put my mindset on that, whereas you never mentioned iPad but simply tablets. Therefore, it's very possible other tablet brands have GPS within their WiFi only devices. I can only attest to iPads who don't.

Reply to
Meanie

Apple is a greedy control freak. They prefer to sell devices with specific hardware and space to gain revenues.

Reply to
Meanie

Meanie wrote in news:p9m3dl$ru7$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Both my Nexus 7 (2013) and my ASUS Zenpad S 8 are wifi only and have GPS. What I have done in the past was to select an area in Google Maps and download it to my tablet. Maps will then use that downloaded map and tablet's GPS to track my location on the map and give turning directions if I have asked for them.

Reply to
Tim

Am Thu, 29 Mar 2018 19:57:31 -0600, schrieb rbowman:

This would make sense but I must have forgotten to mention this is a WiFi-only tablet, in that there is neither GPS nor cellular capability.

So the location has to be by some other means than GPS.

Reply to
Ragnusen Ultred

you've been told how it works on many, many occasions.

Reply to
nospam