How does a Wi-Fi only tablet route on Google Maps when on the road?

That would be my bet. I once used a geocaching application on a WiFi only tablet while sitting in an espresso shop and it pinpointed a nearby cache. I headed out the door to find it without thinking and it worked until I got out of range of the hotspot.

Reply to
rbowman

What IS a given is that any discussion with you is aTOTALercise in frustration and a wastee.

ByeBye.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

bssid

there's no need to connect to the wifi network.

yep, except it's bssid.

yep.

it's done locally because a network query is far too slow, and that's if it's available.

Reply to
nospam

Am Sat, 31 Mar 2018 07:42:42 +0200 (GMT+02:00), schrieb Libor Striz:

I have no problem with your observation that it's not necessarily a "mis configured" phone that reports your WiFi AP BSSID to Google, even if you don't want it to do that.

For example, as you know, I have about a dozen WiFi access points, all of which have _nomap appended to them, so, clearly I don't want my BSSID reported to Google.

Guess what. All the phones that are configured to report the BSSID to Google _still_ report them to Google!

Even though I don't want them to.

Remember, nothing is using cellular data in this case. And nothing is using GPS in this case.

So the only way to get the location is to use WiFi, but we're on the road in this case, so we're not purposefully connecting to the WiFi access points along the road because we would need the security credentials to do that, unless they're all wide open access points.

Yes. That's a good observation. Bear in mind that I do this stuff all the time on the desktop...

Main URLS:

  1. OziExplorer Trial (Map & Track & Elevation Profile Viewer):
  2. OziExplorer conversion of map PDF to OziExplorer compatible TIF files:
  3. GPSbabel (track conversion):
  4. USGS topo maps:
    ============================================================================ Summary of key steps: a. Download and install OziExplorer Trial version software. b. Download and install OziExplorer PDF-to-TIF Conversion software. c. Download and install GPSbabel track-conversion software. d. Download extremely detailed USGS PDF maps of the desired quadrangles. -------- e. Convert the USGS geocalibrated PDF maps to geocalibrated TIF files. f. Stitch contiguous TIF maps together to create a composite map (if desired): g. Load and calibrate the USGS topographic map for your area of interest. -------- h. Convert your mobile-device tracks into OziExplorer "plt" tracks. i. Load and display the mobile-phone track overlayed on that USGS map. j. Display the elevation/speed profile by distance/time. -------- k. Create routes & save as GPX tracks for import into a mobile device l. Test results online (just as a doublecheck of the accuracy) ============================================================================

What about for iOS tablets?

Reply to
Ragnusen Ultred

Am Sat, 31 Mar 2018 01:06:45 -0400, schrieb nospam:

Always you, nospam, the Apple representative here, speak as a child.

  1. You don't know the answer, and,
  2. You just guess (where your record is that of the monkey), and,
  3. Even if you did, you display zero helpful intent.
Reply to
Ragnusen Ultred

Am 31.03.18 um 07:06 schrieb nospam:

certainly!

Reply to
Joerg Lorenz

Am Sat, 31 Mar 2018 01:06:45 -0400, schrieb nospam:

Always,

  1. You have zero helpful intent, and,
  2. You just guess at the answers, and,
  3. You act like a child in every one of your posts.

I only speak facts.

Reply to
Ragnusen Ultred

Am Fri, 30 Mar 2018 23:27:30 -0600, schrieb rbowman:

The last I checked this process was years ago, but what the process was, as I recall, was you first get a free key from Google.

Then you use that key to query an online database of BSSID location information that Google provides to all free of charge.

As a rudimentary security measure that I doubt Google Maps has to follow, you have to give it TWO BSSIDs which must be in close proximity to each other in the Google database, and a signal strength (which can be bogus).

Under those circumstances, as I recall, Google will give you the location.

But all that only works if you're already on the net, which is not possible for a tablet that has no cellular capability and which is driving down the road (unless it's fleetingly connecting to unsecured wide-open access points).

Hence the question is how does Google /still/ know your location?

Reply to
Ragnusen Ultred

Am Sat, 31 Mar 2018 08:24:55 +0200, schrieb Joerg Lorenz:

Oh no, another man child has infested this thread, namely Joerg Lorenz, who has *never* once added any on-topic value to *any* thread in his entire life!

Just watch.

Once these Apple mindless gnats infest a thread, it's dead.

Reply to
Ragnusen Ultred

Am 31.03.18 um 08:36 schrieb Ragnusen Ultred:

Fact is that where you are there are no threads of any value at all but a lot of alternative facts and stupid Apple-bashing.

Did you ever consult a psychiatrist? Your obsession with Apple is definetely pathological. But your mental health can be restored.

This complex makes it btw so easy to recognise you even when you "change your identity".

Joerg

Reply to
Joerg Lorenz

Am Sat, 31 Mar 2018 08:46:19 +0200 (GMT+02:00), schrieb Libor Striz:

Fair enough.

I didn't think iOS is different than Android in terms of how Google Maps works.

The problem with asking on the iOS newsgroup is that it's filled to the brim with little children who, as we saw with Joerg and nospam: a. Don't know the answer, b. Guess as if they do, and, c. Have zero intention to be helpful.

So, if I could expect an answer on the iOS newsgroup, I would, but you can't expect them to act like adults do (as you saw in this thread).

Why though, would Google Maps do things differently on iOS than on Android given the same lack of GPS and cellular capability?

Reply to
Ragnusen Ultred

yep

don't be so sure about that.

yep.

Reply to
nospam

yes.

why?

it does.

the ios version of google maps uses google's map data.

Reply to
nospam

iBeacons?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Dne 31/03/2018 v 09:24 nospam napsal(a):

Like "Google are bad guys and good Apple guys use nothing from them." :-)

Sure, what other data it should use ? But map data and location service are very different things.

Reply to
Libor 'Poutnik' Stříž

Dne 31/03/2018 v 04:54 Ragnusen Ultred napsal(a):

Android applications and I suppose iOS ones as well do not determine location on their own, but ask the OS what the location is.

So OS does matter, as how it is done is the OS business.

I have few strange questions:

Does it track you only within ranges of supposed Wifis ?

or

Does it even track you without any wifi in the range ?

In case of the former,

Does it track you only at known locations, where the device has been before ?

Does it track you even at new locations with wifis unknown to the device ?

It seems to me not probable to have pre-downloaded all wifi location database. Perhaps, it may predownload the data for nearby area only.

I would rather believe the tablet does not behave in the way you suppose it to behave.

Sometimes a particular HW is present, but not available for the user rather for business reasons, being either deactivated or just not used.

It is cheaper to produce 1 version and selectively disable optional features. Or, selectively disable it just for user applications, but not for the OS.

E.g. Xiaomi MI A1 does have the FM radio chip, ( one can listen the radio via the service menu ) but it is not mentioned in manual and there is no builtin nor downloadable FM application that would work.

Reply to
Libor 'Poutnik' Stříž

How can GPS fix apply to a device with no GPS? The question is nonsensical.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

ibeacons are generally used to map *indoor* areas, such as museums, shopping malls, sports arenas, etc.

Reply to
nospam

correct.

location can be determined via one or more of wifi, cellular, gps and/or bluetooth, depending many factors.

it can, but obviously not via wifi.

for wifi, no.

for wifi, yes.

correct.

only a very small subset is kept on the device, which is for the local area.

the entire database covers the entire world. there is no reason to cache all of it.

very rarely.

in this case, there are two versions of the ipad, a wifi-only model and one with cellular/gps.

except when the additional features incur a significant cost, as with the cellular/gps ipad, largely due to qualcomm's licensing fees.

that's only because the chipset they use already has fm.

Reply to
nospam

nearly all of what he posts is nonsensical.

Reply to
nospam