how does the map get into the radio?

In a new car radio with GPS, how does the map get into the radio? Does it receive cellular data, wifi, or come already installed?
What if you want to install the next year's version?
My current 2005 toyota has a map on DVD, and it's not got all the roads, even the ones that existed then. A repacement DVD is 90+ dollars! but mine is good. OTOH, one for 2011 is only $20, but I'm guessing it won't work right??? And I don't know if it has many more roads or not. Maybe it only has more recent stores.
And I don't see anything newer than 2011, so I figure they don't use DVDs anymore. ??
I don't need navigation, only occasionally to know where I am.
If the GPS map on new radios isn't a lot better than what I have, I'd rather save a couple hundred dollars and get a radio withou it.

That's why Nav on a car is a waste. Upgrades cost more than a good Tom_tom
On 07/10/2018 10:15 PM, micky wrote:

Micky, GPSs can't work miracles.

There are a confusing number of models but you can get a Garmin Nuvi for less than $100 with lifetime map updates. The updates are done with wifi. The ones with real time traffic updates are more expensive and may not be useful depending on where you live.
Digital maps have varying quality data. Urban areas are usually more up to date than rural.
On Wednesday, July 11, 2018 at 8:42:41 AM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:

A simple solution that will be shot down.

After owning both Garmin and Tom-Tom I'll never own another garmin.
The TomTom updates by connecting to a computer on the internet. On our recent (just got home yesterday) 9000km trip there was only one situationwhere the GPS got confused - in Coldwater Michigan where it had trouble finding the Quality Inn, hidden way back in behind the amusement park - where it tried to send us in through a campground.
On 07/11/2018 08:24 AM, Clare Snyder wrote:

I've bought Garmins from back before Clinton took the SA off and they weren't very useful. I geocache and have had good luck with the brand so when it was time to buy one for the car that's what came to mind.
http://whichsatnav.com/garmin-vs-tomtom-which-is-better
That site calls it a draw. TomTom is better on traffic jam reporting which isn't a big thing for me. If I do have to go through a big city I do it at off hours.

I have mounts for my Garmin handheld on all my bikes, motor and pedal operated. With a dual sport bike campgrounds and amusement parks are just fun challenges. I try not to ride through peoples' yards although I have been tempted.
In rec.autos.tech, on Wed, 11 Jul 2018 07:43:26 -0600, rbowman

Is it a miracle to tell me where I am?

I don't want another device, just a radio which may or may not have GPS.
I hadn't thoughty about traffic updates, but that would definitely require a receiver and a higher price. There is pretty much only one route to take to work, so knowing about the traffic doesn't help.
In Chicago where the streets are on a grid, one can just take a parallel street if there is traffic, but not here.

This DVD does have more streets within Baltimore, but I have a paper atlas of Baltimore which has all that too, and more, and I rarely go some place I haven't been to 10 times. The DVD wasn't up to date on the rural areas even when the car was made. At least it doesn't have enough detail.
On Wednesday, July 11, 2018 at 9:42:41 AM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:

That's why I use my Android cell phone and Google Maps. It has live updating of the traffic conditions ahead, shows yellow or red on sections of roads with slow traffic and offers alternatives to go around, if it makes sense. It's great for walking directions in cities too. And no need to buy anything else, it's in even the cheap phones.
@bigfoot.com says...

Get the radio without it.
I don't know about the prices, but some of the new cars with navigation have a USB slot where you download the maps on a computer and then transfer them with a USB drive to the car.
As many said, just get a Garman or such with the lifetime updates for free.
In rec.autos.tech, on Wed, 11 Jul 2018 10:18:22 -0400, Ralph Mowery

That would save money, and I'm more likely to find a radio with real buttons, which are easier to use when driving.

Thank you for answering my question!

I don't want another device. I just want a radio, which may or may not have GPS. In order to judge whether to get GPS, I need to know how much detail the map will have, but if the map is bad, that just means no GPS, not that I would buy an additional device to have a better map.
Thanks.
@bigfoot.com says...

The maps are usually very close from one GPS to the next if they are updated.
I don't care too much for the radio, but do like being able to plug in a USB drive into the audio system to play songs of my choice. You do not need the GPS option for that.
I bought a 2017 Toyota and it came with sort of a GPS, but not really. From what I get out of it, it seems that it has a map that works off my cell phone. You start out with it and it calculates here you are and which way to turn. If you get off the given route it still thinks you are on it. So it is worthless. They do make a true GPS for that car,but it just was not on the one I bought.
I have a Garman with lifetime updates that I like to use and can move it between the car and truck as I need to. While not allways accurate it has a traffic warning for the traffic jams and backups.
In rec.autos.tech, on Wed, 11 Jul 2018 11:06:49 -0400, Ralph Mowery

Right. I do that too. But not from a port right in the radio. I have to plug something into the cigarette lighter. Despite that it works, that was another reason to get a new radio, but I twisted the thing 90 degrees and now I can see the buttons and it's pretty easy to replay a song or skip to the next song.

Clever. I didn't have a specific method in mind, but I thought there would be some 4th method by now. A shame it doesn't work better.

Yes. I often see things that make me turn off the route.

On 7/11/2018 11:06 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

I have a Garmin too with lifetime maps and traffic but had to fight with it yesterday having to route around a road closure when it kept trying to reroute me back to it. Not the first time I've either had to ignore it or turn it off.
Don't know about current Toyota's but a friend said it would cost $200 to have dealer put new maps in his Rav 4. Garmin maps may be updated as much as four times a year. It is not just road changes but new business openings and business addresses changing.
In rec.autos.tech, on Wed, 11 Jul 2018 12:32:56 -0400, Frank <"frank

Wow. I'd rather be lost than spend $200.
I mean, they found the Thai cavers. Surely someone would find me eventually.

On 7/11/2018 12:32 PM, Frank wrote:

Its a real money make for them. Most cars are $100 to $200. My car has 3 years included or I'd not bother.
On 7/11/2018 5:35 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I had recalled ads in car magazine for dealers that dealers could make a large profit off accessories.
Googled it up and found this recent article:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimhenry/2012/02/29/the-surprising-ways-car-dealers-make-the-most-money-off-of-you/#21a63e5e1e6f
Also recall years ago when I bought Chevy's where my brother was the service manager. Warranties did not last long, if there was one, and my car developed a cracked block and needed a new engine. My brother could not reduce the labor cost but bought the engine himself for the shop to install. He saved me the %100 part markup that the dealer would have charged.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On many of the systems that use Garmin maps you can use updates direct from Garmin onto a formatted SD card to update for a LOT less...
--
Steve W.

On Wednesday, July 11, 2018 at 10:47:29 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:

No cell phone? Google Maps works very well for me.
I just want a radio, which may or may not

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 11 Jul 2018 08:47:17 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

Yeah, I have a phone. Like I said, if the car didn't have a mediocre one, I wouldn't want a better one. I wouldn't want anything. But I know myself, and I at least have to look into this.

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 11 Jul 2018 08:47:17 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

That's one reason why I don't want another device. I already have a phone, but it would be nice if it displayed on the dashboard.
And the question in the subject line was of interest regardless.
Answers to questions like "how does the map get into the radio?" are not obvious from displays at Best Buy or ads on Amazon, and often not mentioned even in reviews.