How to get firewood up stairs?

Hello all - second to my last thread about getting wood into a basement, I also have to get wood up 5 stairs into my ground level living room. Generally I have 2 wheel barrows, one up the stairs and one down, and I throw the wood up and then wheel it into to house in that one. I need around 2-3 cords a winter in the living room, so its quite a few loads.

The ramps I've seen in Norther Tool are around $1000, so they can toss off. Hence I'm looking for ideas. I can put a ramp up the stairs but it has to be light enough to move out of the way easily.

Thanks for any tips!

Dean

Reply to
dean

Motorcycle loading ramps. Harbor Freight Co. Less than $100 WW

Reply to
Warren Weber

Yeah I thought of those, but pusing a wheel barrow of firewood is quite hard up a steep ramp, I've tried it before. I want something at least

16' long.
Reply to
dean

I bought two black rubbermaid 45 gallon trash containers with wheels (#1345). I fill one with small pieces of wood and the other with large pieces of wood. Then it is easy for me to drag them up my 3 steps into my house similar to the way you would drag a hand truck up steps.

And they don't seem to be too heavy to me when loaded with wood, but after installing my 450 pound wood stove, anything would seem quite light!

The added advantage of these containers is that they have lids, so they keep hitch-hiking bugs inside the container.

They don't look very attractive sitting in my living room, but they are quite functional.

Trash containers on wheels...

Bill

Bill - do you find them a bit deep to reach into? Sounds like a good idea though.

Reply to
dean

Awhile back I used one of these for a few years:

Worked very nicely up and down steps, for me, with the lengths I was carrying.

HTH, J

Reply to
barry

Careful they don't confuse that log on top of your pencil neck for a stump.

Reply to
G Hensley

Lol I carry around 5 big wheel barrows full of wood! Doing that by canvas carrier is gonna take a REAL long time!

Reply to
dean

dadiOH are you saying make a plywood ramp 16' long with just 2x4 sides?

Reply to
dean

Or Ebay?

Reply to
RJK

Froogle search for "firewood carrier" revealed:

Canvass carrier, with a couple handles. My parents have one, and it sure makes it easier to carry wood to the fireplace.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

So use two plywood panels. Rip to width desired, bolt a short length of

2x4 on each side at the join.

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ....a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

No, not exactly....make a 16' plywood ramp with two short (3'? 4'?) lengths of 2x4 bolted underneath - one at each side - to hold the two pieces of ply together. By bolting, you can easily separate the 2 ply pieces for storage. Use 3/4" ply - it will bounce a bit but will hold you and your wheelbarow load of wood easily. If you want less bounce, use longer 2x4s.

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ....a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

This is fun, if living room is at ground level, you shouldn't have 5 steps up to it. You planning on stacking it in the living room? How about the upstairs is that your next question, do you need

2-3 cords up there also?
Reply to
George E. Cawthon

George go take a hike will ya and stop posting in my threads. I am genuinely asking these questions. My GROUND floor is up a few steps at the front entrance, but its still what I call the ground floor. Don't be so dopey.

Dean

Reply to
dean

How thick is this piece of plywood? I suppose you mean I use a couple of 4x8' x 3/4" ply? I would think that would bound and break with all that weight. But it could work with some supports midway I guess.

Reply to
dean

I'm gonna go home and bounce a bit on some ply wood! Thanks muchly for all the help!

Dean

Reply to
dean

Re: The trash can idea... I can't reach the bottom 6 inches or so, but can tip it over and use a stick to get the rest out. But when it gets that low, it is time to refill it anyway...

Reply to
Bill

I specifically suggested 3/4" ___________________

Now you're getting it. Except I personally wouldn't make it 48" wide. No need...all you need is wide enough for your feet and the barrow tire. Maybe 16"-24"...that way it is lighter, smaller and you only need one sheet of 4'x8'. _________________

You ever try to break a piece of 3/4" ply? Ever watch workmen barrowing loads of concrete up a flimsy little ramp? ___________________

No need, especially if you keep the ply in the 16"-24" width suggested above. If you are really worried, attach a full length 2x4 underneath at each side of each piece of plywood. A girder IOW. Do that and you don't need 3/4" ply...1/4" would work and 1/2" would be plenty.

Attach the two ramp pieces together by another short length of 2x4 bolted through the sides of the underneath 2x4s at the join. Or use 2x4 cross pieces at each end of the ply and bolt those together. Patent pending :)