how does the map get into the radio?

I had recalled ads in car magazine for dealers that dealers could make a large profit off accessories.

Googled it up and found this recent article:

Also recall years ago when I bought Chevy's where my brother was the service manager. Warranties did not last long, if there was one, and my car developed a cracked block and needed a new engine. My brother could not reduce the labor cost but bought the engine himself for the shop to install. He saved me the %100 part markup that the dealer would have charged.

Reply to
Frank

I mostly agree with you. That's what ended up working on my Sunday drive the other day.

Before I drove to Florida, I went to tourism [state name] for each of the states I was driving through, and they each sent me a map. I think the search word was tourism. Allow 30 or 45 days.

Plus if you are on an interstate, and it's 9-6 Sunday - Saturday, there is usually a plaza soon after entering a state where you can stop and get a state map. Though in a few states, everything is on display except the map, which you have to ask for.

Reply to
micky

I have one of those. It's not the same thing.

I was talking about after-market car radios. I know how the map gets in my own car's radio. It comes from thd DVD that came with the car.

I was also talking about a variety of recent car radios, all of them, and a google search did not find anything. But Ralph was a big help.

Reply to
micky

What's wrong with the radio you have, other than the GPS???

I say leave well enough alone if you don't NEED theGPS.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I've driven across the country a few times and parts of Europe with paper maps. I still like to look at them for the overall view.

That said. navigation in a car is a very useful tool. Pick a state and a major city and I'll take you to it with no map, just a basic knowledge of geography and road signs.

So. we are traveling and think it is about time to call it a day. On my navigation I can search for hotels. I can choose "along route" and it brings them up by distance. I can choose on and press a button to call ahead to see if they have a room. If yes, I push another button and the car will guide me to it. I have a Head Up Display so it even shows me the next turn on the windshield and the distance down to 10 feet.

Do I need it? No, I've done well for decades. It is though, a great tool along the way to find food, fuel, lodging. As I said, I can get you to Cleveland or Fargo, but the navigation will take me right to 666 Park Street. Its a tool I'm willing to pay for.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That's what I find valuable. As far as large scale navigation goes, I drove OTR in the '90s and like the song says I've been everywhere. However calling up the motels and grocery stores in Fargo saves time.

That's where the updates come in too. I hadn't updated mine in a long time and last fall it guided me to a Basha's in Tucson that was gone.

Reply to
rbowman

I've bought Garmins from back before Clinton took the SA off and they weren't very useful. I geocache and have had good luck with the brand so when it was time to buy one for the car that's what came to mind.

That site calls it a draw. TomTom is better on traffic jam reporting which isn't a big thing for me. If I do have to go through a big city I do it at off hours.

I have mounts for my Garmin handheld on all my bikes, motor and pedal operated. With a dual sport bike campgrounds and amusement parks are just fun challenges. I try not to ride through peoples' yards although I have been tempted.

Reply to
rbowman

c07

After all these posts that's the first time you've said that.

I know how the map gets in

It comes from thd DVD that came with the car.

I would think new cars would have it already loaded and it seemed it was ge tting updated maps you were talking about.

that a simple google search would find it.

So there are no user manuals for any of the aftermarket gps radios online, nor any help available from any of the manufacturers? I would think for a s pecific car there would be a few companies that make one that fits and they would have documentation. But I guess you're the only one who wants to eve r update it and the a answer must be you can't, because if it can be it wou ld be very odd there is nothing available about it.

Reply to
trader_4

Louis Armstrong, Nobody Knows the Trouble I've Seen

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Welcome to PennDot country.

Reply to
makolber

Not so. It was in the very first post:

"In a new car radio with GPS, how does the map get into the radio? Does it receive cellular data, wifi, or come already installed?

"What if you want to install the next year's version?

"My current 2005 toyota has a map on DVD, and it's not got all the roads, even the ones that existed then. A repacement DVD is 90+ dollars! but mine is good. OTOH, one for 2011 is only $20, but I'm guessing it won't work right??? And I don't know if it has many more roads or not. Maybe it only has more recent stores.

"And I don't see anything newer than 2011, so I figure they don't use DVDs anymore. ?? "

There are many that would fit my car, including many different brands, and not all have manuals available. In addition, I'm insterested in other radios too. I donm't want to spend all day downloading and searching manuals. So I asked here. If you don't want to help, don't, but don't argue with me, especially when your "facts" are screwed up.

Not only that, when people ask a question like mine, helpful responders often say which method is better, what flaws each method has, things that no manual ever says.

Is that what you think? No wonder Ralph was able to give a good partial answer and you've added nothing.

Reply to
micky

LOL You have a good point there.

Reply to
micky

So, new cars don't come with new radios? I took that to mean a new car with a new radio. You didn't say aftermarket.

Then that must make them very hard to install and use. Never came across one like that.

In addition, I'm insterested in

Yes, better to get a lot of speculation than the factual answer, it saves a lot of time.

So I asked here. If you don't want to help, don't,

Micky, you sure do have your share of troubles that no one else seems to have. I'm not arguing you with you. As usual, I'm trying to figure out what the f*ck your problem really is and so are other posters. My facts are not screwed up. You said you wanted to know how maps get into new car radios. New cars come with new radios. You did't say you were talking about an aftermarket radio. And I know how to write a few sentences that accurately describe my actual situation and question, eg:

I have a Toyota Crapo SE, 2009. I want to put a new radio that has GPS in it and I was wondering if the maps can be later updated and how.

See, two sentences. Even better, I'd just go google for a couple companies that make the damn thing, RTFM, or look in the Q/A forum. You know why? Because just because company A says it can be updated using a USB thumb drive for free, doesn't mean that company B doesn't say that it can't be updated at all or that company C says that it costs $80 to update and you do it via sticking your dick in a hole in the radio. Knowing you, you'd wind up with company C and more questions. Then you'd make more posts here with lots of good info to go on, like "my dick won't fit a hole in my car, what do I do now"?

Reply to
trader_4

It depends on the manufacturer. Most use either an SD card or a DVD to update the maps in the on board system. You won't find one from the auto manufacturer with actual current year maps though. For that you need to update with the most current data from whoever they used for the map data. For instance my Journey uses a UConnect system unit that runs Garmin maps, I can update it using ONLY Garmin data, but I can get updates directly through Garmin and add it through an SD or DVD for a lot less than going to a dealer

The new Toyotas also use Garmin and an SD card for updates.

Reply to
Steve W.

On many of the systems that use Garmin maps you can use updates direct from Garmin onto a formatted SD card to update for a LOT less...

Reply to
Steve W.

Read some of Micky's latest posts. It's not the GPS built into the car, which is what I thought from his posts too. It's a GPS map that's part of an aftermarket radio to be added. Or maybe he already has it. Who knows. Brand unknown. Model unknown. So much better to start 100 post threads speculating without knowing WTF he has or plans to have, instead of Micky going to a website for the few manufacturers that probably make one that fits his actual car. I'm surprised he's still alive.

Reply to
trader_4