John Lewis Spectrum Radio - How to get apart?

I have one of these:

It has a rechargable battery that I think has failed. It is supposedly waterproof so there is no obvious way to take it apart although there are a couple of recesses on the bottom edge that look like the might take a small screwdriver to release a clip.

Does anyone have any experience of this model and found a way of getting to the battery?

Reply to
Andrew May

Most things like that can by pried open with a thin spudger but before trying too hard I?d see if the knobs pull off in case the are any concealed screws beneath them.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+
  1. Unfasten the clip over the handle on the right hand side by pushing it down (as indicated). This will reveal a screw which you have to remove.
  2. You now have to do the same on the left hand side, but this clip is much more difficult to get off. I used a 1" chisel on the base to lever the clip off, but in the process I broke part of it, so beware. Once you have removed this clip you can see another screw that needs to be removed (this one goes through a tag that attaches to the antenna wire inside carrying strap).
  3. The back will now come easily off the unit, and it is then obvious how to proceed to dismantle it further.
Reply to
scassia

Nice one. Come here via google groups instead, most people have the website you're using blocked.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

So how old was the original post this time? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Only December.

Reply to
Andy Burns

This might be a silly question but how old is the radio? What about taking it back and saying the product does not have the durability you expected. If the battery is not replaceable, you could argue it becomes an integral part of the product. Reasonable compromise would be for JL to get the manufacturer to replace the battery.

Also, I think JL usually offers a two year guarantee.

Reply to
Scott

Thanks for your post. Managed to get it apart but cannot recognise what battery to replace.

Reply to
wizzkid

People tend to ignore messages from home owners club as they could be old or often do not contain enough info due to usenet being text only and nobody wants to go to the terrible web site. Get a real usenet client and use that on usenet itself. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Excellent. Thank you.

Reply to
Ken (Exeter)

Before replying to a 2 year old post please read this:

Fredxx

I just remplaced the battery of this John Lewis spectrum radio. Following advise on removing the side screws holding the antenna, I needed to lift the edges a bit to move the inner unit out. The battery was under a black plate and had some black foam over it. mine had swollen, looked like a little bag. I purchased one of 2000mah lithium polymer battery (the original is 2100,) at cool components. I was surprised how thin it was compared to my swollen one. IMPORTANT: I had to swap to polarity of the battery! It’s a bit fiddly but you can pry out the metal pins from the connector and swap them. Alternatively cut the cable and reconnect crosswise. All works perfect,

Reply to
George H

We've had two of those. On the first one the front panel cracked in the centre of the speaker grille where you press to switch it on and off - a stupid design! Got a replacement under warranty and it fell off a slightly sloping surface because it doesn't have any rubber feet to stop it doing so. It still worked, after a fashion, but now it won't hold a charge. Never could work out how to pry it apart without butchering it, so this information might be useful.

Reply to
Halmyre

Before replying please read this:

Fredxx