Advice: batteries for a digi-radio

I'm irredeemably clueless about electrical things (amps/watts/volts 'n' all that) -- sorry.
Sooooo: I have a John Lewis portable digital radio (30.00). The sound is *great*, and it has a nice simple unpretentious style about it (looks-wise and functionality-wise).
However I can't get it to work portably: my batteries won't power it. On checking the manual again, I find it requires 4x 1.5V AAs. (On checking the batteries) I find I've been using rechargeable 1.2V (2500mAh) NiMH AAs (which I suppose are quite old by now).
Sooooo: I've decided I need to buy some new batteries. Before I go looking for rechargeables that will give me 1.5V, are there any *types* that I should be looking out for? NiMH was all the rage when I last bought rechargeables, but I suspect there are all sorts of new types about these days.
Any advice gratefully received,
Thanks John

6V or 4.8 shouldn't make a lot of difference.
Splash out on four AA's and if the wireless works with four, take one out and replace it with a link. If it still works, bin your nicads. If it doesn't then you have no choice but to use the correct Voltage batt's
In the olden days, one or two of those supersonic heterodyne devices wouldn't work if the batteries were slightly down, I seem to recollect that the manufacturers got the biasing wrong on the mixer- oscillator and dropping the value of the base feed resistor would allow them to function to the point of dry cell dribbling.
'Wouldnt even know if the digital devices oscillated any more :-(
AB

It will if there's 5V logic in the digital part...

What? You're saying if it works with 4x1.2V then let's try just 3.6 V?
Could you better explain what you mean?

On 16/03/2014 21:17, Jeremy Nicoll - news posts wrote:

Try four AAs. That's 6V.
Take one out and replace with a link. That's 4.5.
Better?
Andy

When he wrote AAs, he should have written AA non-rechargeables, or Duracells.
--
Some people are alive only because it's illegal to kill them.

On Sun, 16 Mar 2014 21:17:32 +0000, Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

I would have thought it reasonably obvious.
Re- read & think.
Your humble tranny even these days would be expected to work in a variety of temperatures using batteries that are not at their best.
An off the shelf AA can match a nicads Voltage after less than half it's capacity has been used.
Now I cannot see too many manufacturers producing goods that consume batteries so greedily.
TTL logic [I assume thats what you mean], functioned at less than 5V. Some of the more exotic equivalents went to 3V and lower. Somehow I would doubt that you'd find a few 7400's tucked away in the case though.
Now to s p e l l t h i n g s o u t
Four aa's from Asda or Lidl will cost peanuts
Use all four in the wireless [6V]
The wireless works [ go to step b]
The wireless doesn't work [ Fix it then try the old nicads]
step [b]
Remove one cell & link [4.5V]
The wireless works [buy fresh nicads]
The wireless doesn't work, use dry batteries, buy a long mains extention or build a battery box.
There we are- Comprehend now?
AB

I can They're called digital radio manufacturers <snip>

--
bert

Archibald wrote:

You havent tried a DAB radio using batteries have you? Mine uses 4 C cells, they last around 8 hours. The first time they died, I thought it must be poor quality batteries, so I put Duracells in. They lasted a day at work too.
I now use an FM radio, with 4 AA's, which usually last 2 weeks+
--
Alan
To reply by mail, change '+' to 'plus'

I have an elderly AM portable where the 9v battery lasts many months of heavy use. The speaker size is 7x4" and gives plenty level.
--
*It's o.k. to laugh during sex..just don't point!

It's called product improvement
--
bert

On 16/03/2014 23:04, A.Lee wrote:

I have a Pure Radio with one of their rechargeable batteries (£15). Lasts a claimed 18 hours, which seems about right.

The bathroom FM radio used maybe 30 minutes daily, with 3 rechargeable AAs, seems to go on forever - maybe 6 months
--
Cheers, Rob

RJH wrote:

I bought one of the NiMH ChargePaks for mine, it cooked itself in little over a year, the battery had expanded and pushed its way out of the compartment, so I replaced it with a Li-ion ChargePak that lasted a few years (it was more or less only ever used as a builtin UPS for the radio/alarm rather than as a battery radio) but is now also dead.
On 18/03/2014 07:28, Andy Burns wrote:

Blimey. We have a couple of Pure radios/chargepaks in the family - the large white weatherproof ones. The one I bought my sister is still going strong after 3 years, about 50/50 battery mains. The other, the battery died about 3 years back after 8 years. It's still inside. Must take a look.
The one I bought is a Li-ion, so we'll see.
--
Cheers, Rob

On 16/03/2014 23:04, A.Lee wrote:

That sounds unusually bad, but my experience is broadly similar DAB is a waste of space consuming batteries very rapidly and with borderline signal is not actually worth listening to. I have built several different DAB aerials to improve things and can now get enough signal provided it doesn't rain with leaves on the trees but I have given up on DAB and now stream radio over ethernet which suffers a longer delay from realtime but doesn't keel over anything like so easily.
Most of the DAB radios I have are pretty useless and crash out to dead air if they encounter any signal corruption they don't like even with a very good aerial. This affects the earliest (expensive) one I got and the most recent ones too (if anything the most recent are worse).
Unless you are partial to listening to the silence of the pregnant pauses on R3 or John Cages's 4'33" DAB radio has nothing to offer :(

If you can power it from mains. Cheap wall wart will do it.

And will probably work OK with NiMH cells too. As wartime emergency radios DAB will be completely useless since most people will run out of batteries within 48 hours unless they have huge personal stocks.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

DAB radio is renowned for high battery power consumption, its one of its known faults apart from piss poor audio quality...
--
Tony Sayer

I wonder if high battery consumption has anything to do with poor implementation. I have a modern Pure portable which has good battery consumption. When teletext was new a decoder (as built by GEC) used masses of TTL chips with a correspondingly high power consumption, then Mullard did it all in one chip!
--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18
On Mon, 17 Mar 2014 11:11:47 +0000 (GMT), charles

I have a personal DAB radio that works off a single AA cell. An 800mAH rechargable battery gives me about 5hrs listening in DAB mode; 15-20 hours in MP3 mode. It's the ATMT MP170 which is a pretty-well outmoded design now but there are still one or two about on Amazon.
Nick
On 17/03/14 11:11, charles wrote:

Exactly. yu are running with DAB a whole computer and RAM assembly at bloody high speed to do all the decoding.
Its where an ARM chip and integrated DAC plus a few others is the way to go, but not all chipsets are created equal.
Had exactly the same issues on model RC gear when the old SW based 'FM' receivers - drawing 5mA or so were replaced by hungry 'digital' stuff at 2.4Ghz,drawing 20-40mA and suddenly people were running out of battery much earlier than they thought. Worse, they had an annoying habit of going totally apeshit if - say - retracting the undercarriage put such a strain on the battery that the voltage dropped below 5V..
--
Ineptocracy

On 17/03/2014 10:54, tony sayer wrote:

The piss poor audio quality is only because they standardised on the wrong (too early) MP2 codec as opposed to MP4/AAC in DAB+ and too low a bitrate. There is no reason why DAB couldn't be almost studio quality Radio3 manages extremely good quality over the internet at 320kbps AAC.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

I've had DAB here in the form of a tuner since very early on - due to the them poor FM reception in this part of S London. And the quality was just fine before the bitrate was reduced. To be fair take up was very poor among those who in theory cared about audio quality (Hi-Fi types) who probably weren't much interested in radio by then. And of course the reduced bitrate allowed more channels per mux.
I no longer use DAB at home - FreeView receivers are cheaper. ;-) But I do have it in one car where the better reception than FM in London is appreciated.
I don't use any portable radios at home.
--
*A fool and his money can throw one hell of a party.