Digi-Key

Have Digi-Key got a UK warehouse? They seem to have a UK site - but it isn't clear where the goods come from as they ask for import/export details when buying from them. I ordered up some hall effect sensors from them on Monday - couldn't find the equivalent here - and they arrived this morning. Could they have come from the US that quick?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, they come from the U.S. They have a web presence in the UK, but that's all AFAIK.

They are quick. The stuff seems to leave the town in Minnesota and go to a local hub, then Minneapolis, then Kentucky (overnight), then Philadelphia, then E Midlands airport, arriving midnight the day after order. That gives time to get it to your local depot to go out next morning.

I've always seen that time pattern; order on working day N, get it on working day N+2, usually before midday or so.

You usually have to pay VAT on delivery, but no handling charge for UPS. Mouser are another good firm, but there seems to be an extra fee on delivery (both used UPS with me).

Reply to
Bob Eager

That's what I'd sort of worked out by the import/export questions.

Amazing. Only one day longer than ordering from the best in the UK - and better than many. Maplin haven't managed next day delivery at standard prices for ages.

I only paid 10 quid over the actual site prices. So no worse than many UK firms for a small order - it was only 12 quids worth of parts. No VAT - perhaps they don't bother under a certain figure?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I know...and there is a *much* wider range, and the prices are good.

Probably not. I usually spend 50 quid at a time - there are always components I seem to need, and then the carriage is free!

Reply to
Bob Eager

What did the Customs label say?

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

That's my understanding, too.

They're actually based only a couple of hours from where I live (which isn't much for US distances/timescales!) but annoyingly I can't pick stuff up on a weekend (their offices are open then, but not the warehouse side), which is when I'm most likely to want something quickly enough to decide to drive rather than just leave it to the postal service.

Yes, Mouser's the other 'big name' for components in the US - but I have no idea what (if anything) they have by way of a UK presence though (my catalogue seems to have gone walkabout... hmm)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

They are at

but that redirects to a site with UK prices. There's a UK address and phone number, but it all gets shipped from the US.

Reply to
Bob Eager