Well Done Screwfix...No So Curzoncare

Ordered some plumbing items from Screwfix yesterday afternoon and they arrived this morning ..all items that I ordered ...Well done to them...Credit where credit is due ..

Cant really say the same for

was looking for some parts for my Potterton Kingfisher CF60 bolier on Sunday afternoon and via the Interspares website I located Curzoncare ...I ordered the required parts on their website and paid for them and all went smoothly except for the M5 x 10mm screws that I needed ...The Potterton list on the Interspares website had them listed as " 633926 4 Screw M5 x 10mm lg. pozidrive " but the Curzon picking list had this item shown as "1" so it wasn't clear if it was 1 of 1 or 1 of 4 ... The item was priced as £1.43 plus vat and I ordered 1 but put a note to say if it WAS only 1 I was getting for my £1.43 plus vat to amend the order as I would get them elsewhere ......I got the confirmation e-mails to say the order was OK but if there was a problem with it to contact a Carla Moss at Baxi ....odd when the order was placed with Curzon........On Monday I phoned an 0870 number on Curzon's site to see when delivery was likely so I would know whether to go out or not and got redirected to a local branch who knew ,obviously,nothing about the order and could not give me a tel number I could call as they werent allowed to give it out and said that this Carla Moss was some Financial Controller ( like she would eal with web orders ...lol) ...The call to a place about three miles away cost me about 40 p...

Anyway the order arrived this morning ....In the order was 1 screw at £1.43 plus vat ....I telephoned the 0870 number ( prefixing with 141 to avoid the reroute) and the guy gave me number of the branch the order had come from and to his credit the guy who answered there was helpful and said he would credit the amount for the screw to my card .... Apart from the fact that they make it so difficult to contact them why do so many companies use these 0870 numbers and as for the cost of ONE screw ...Aaaaarrrggghhh.!!!!!

Sorry fo the rant Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

What do mean, re-route? 141 just suppresses your caller ID, surely?

Try

next time! Worth bookmarking that site.

It's a similar story with freefone numbers on mobiles which have inclusive-minute tarrifs. Eg, phone Screwfix by mobile on the regular 'free-from-landlines' 0500 414141 number and you get charged regardless of your zillion spare carried-over minutes; however you can also phone them on 01935 414141 without the extra charge.

David

Reply to
Lobster

The contact number for curzoncare.co.uk is an 0870 number and presumably diverts your call to the branch nearest to you based on your area code ...Thats why I got put thru to the Glasgow branch yesterday as thats where I stay ....If you put 141 in front of the number it wont know the area code so I was thinking my call would go to a head office somewhere ...

Yeah...thx for that

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Aha. Never thought of doing that. If you suppress caller ID, the 0870 system can't route the call to your local branch because it doesn't know where you are.

Clever. I'll remember that!

Reply to
Bob Eager

141 does not suppress caller ID. It flags the caller ID as 'withheld' and the terminating telco does not pass the caller ID to the customer. However anyone with access to the call at telco level, including most if not all 0870 operators, will still see the caller ID as the call passes through the system.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Yes, I realise that.

Of course. I guess they are not set up to (or are not allowed to) make use of it, though. Well, that's what the empirical evidence (one sample!) suggests. Guess it may not be universal, but a trick worth trying.

Reply to
Bob Eager

snipped

Working Lunch featured this very issue today ...suggested a cost of 8p per min for an 0870 number split 1p to BT Wholesale.2.5p to the company you call and 4.5p to the terminating .telco .....unfortunately I came in near the end of the item but the website was mentioned ...

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Depends on the phone contract. I get free calls to 0500/0800 anyway. And inclusive minutes!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Which network/tarriff, out of interest? Cheers David

Reply to
Lobster

Orange contract, Talk something....!

Reply to
Bob Eager

True magic. I had a real go at Comet because they wanted me to pay national rate to make a local call to a branch. Even got a phone call from the CEO's PA. "Sorry. We're looking at it. Will I still be a customer?" *No*

This site is gold dust. No luck on police stations nor HSBC though!

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott