DIY Key Duplication ?

I've got 3 transponder-type blank keys for my vehicle.
Tried the local hardware store, tried Home Depot.... both said "Sure, we'll duplicate a key onto those... but you have to pay us to program the transponder.".... and that's beeeeg bucks.... like fifty dollars per key.
I have a non-transponder copy of the key that could be sacrificed if needs be and I can handle the transponder myself.
Bottom Line: Unless I can find a compliant locksmith, it seems like I'm down to duplicating the keys myself.
Has anybody tried this?
For doing it without a specialized device, it seems like the critical part would be tracing the precise outline of the known-good key onto the blank..... after that I would think it a matter of enough care and the proper Dremel wheel or cutter.
Or might there be something at Harbor Freight to help with this? Seems like a pretty simple device would do the trick - albeit slowly.
Googling returns lots of devices - some of them pretty cheap... but I would be looking for one that somebody has actually used successfully.
--
Pete Cresswell

Find a local Ace Hardware they will cut the key for free probably tell you no guarantee so check it before you leave

If you have the blank, they can just cut the key but the chip will not work. I have one I keep stuck in the rear luggage hatch going to the trunk. I can get from the car to the trunk but it will not start the car. If you can program the chip, you are good to go.
On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 23:27:13 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

YOu don't program the chip. You program the computer in the car to accept the additional key - just like adding an alarm fob.
To start off, I'll explain a bit about what a PATS key is, what it does, and why this might concern you.
PATS is an acronym that stands for Passive Anti-Theft System (Ford also calls this SecuriLock). It is also called a transponder key. It is a security feature found on most (if not all) new Ford products, and what it does is disable your vehicle's starter unless your specially programmed key is used to start the vehicle. There is a computer chip inside of the key, and without that you will NOT be able to start the vehicle -- even if you have a regular (non-PATS) key with the correct cuts, it will not work. for Ford keys (Later 1998-newer Ford, Lincoln, Mercury) If you want to add a key....
**You must have two original keys to perform this procedure. If you only have one key, you WILL have to take it to the dealer to get it programmed**
1. Insert an existing (working) key into the ignition cylinder.
2. Turn the ignition cylinder ON (RUN) and back to OFF. Ignition should stay on for at least ONE SECOND.
3. Remove the existing key and, within TEN seconds, insert a second working key and turn it to ON (RUN) and the back OFF. Ignition must be in ON for at least ONE second, but no more than TEN seconds. Remove the key.
4. Insert the new key before TWENTY seconds have elapsed and turn it to ON (RUN). Leave it the ON position for at least ONE second and turn back to OFF.
5. The security light will light up for THREE seconds to indicate that the new key has been successfully programmed.
6. To program additional keys, repeat steps 1 through 5
As a precautionary measure for all of the above procedures, you should wait at least one minute after you have performed this until you start your vehicle.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca says...

I don't think I will ever own a Ford, but nice to know that one could get a blank key for less than $ 20 and cut it and then program the car to take it. Friend of mine has one and he complained about the dealers wanting almost $ 100 for the keys.
Per Ralph Mowery:

Mine were a little less than $5.00 each: http://tinyurl.com/hbled9z
--
Pete Cresswell

says...

That link seems to show $ 13.99 with free shipping.
Per Ralph Mowery:

I have no answer to that one, except that my Amazon order summary says:
"3 of Transponder Key Blank Fits 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 Ford F150 F250 F350 With Do It Yourself Programming Instructions Sold by: BartoleteKeys $12.49"
But when I click on that description in the order summary, I do see what looks like the screen you note: "Transponder Key Blank Fits 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 Ford F150 F250 F350 With Do It Yourself Programming Instructions by Bartolete Keys 5.0 out of 5 stars 1 customer review Price:    $13.99 & FREE Shipping"
All I can think of is:
- The price has gone up (or varies depending on the information Amazon has currently harvested on the buyer)
- Somewhere in the web page, it says 3 keys instead of just one as implied by the description.
--
Pete Cresswell

Per (PeteCresswell):

Oops! A third possibility has arisen: User RCI.
Turns out that the order summary only lists the unit price.
Drilling down into Order Details shows that the order total is #37.45... so, a little over twelve bucks per key... and not five.
--
Pete Cresswell

says...

Even at that it beats close to $ 100 the dealers rip you off for.
Reminds me of a 1972 Dodge I had ordered. When it came in the dealer said he di dnot catch the requirements for an electronic ingition for the engine I wanted. He had a book and it started out as $ 49.95. As the wages around here at the time was about $ 3 per hour that is about a day and a half of wages. He flipped the book and it showed another cost that was less and another page or two with lesser cost. Final cost to the dealer was just under $ 15,over a 3:1 markup.
I don't mind paying a fair price for what I want, but do hate to get ripped off big time.

Find a real independent locksmith. Someone like our "dear departed" Stormy. The KEY isn't programmed on my ford. The car is programmed to the key As long as you have 2 functional keys you can add any 3rd or 4th key to the system by following a few simple steps - which is why the time to get a third key is before you loose the first one ---
On 12/16/2016 11:24 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:
[snip]

What happens when you LOSE the key rather than loose it? :-)
On Saturday, December 17, 2016 at 4:30:19 PM UTC-5, notX wrote:

you have the vehicle towed to the dealership who looks up the key code and produces a new one....
just like if a ignition lock fails

I think you missed his sarcastic reference to me using the wrong word.

If the keyn isn't let loose, it's pretty hard to lose it

It runs wild through the streets, scratching the paint on every car it encounters.

                            lose
I thought that Ford had a three key limit; no fourth one. But it's been a long time and my brain is faulty.
If he loses the first one... My morals are loose... (Not criticizing)
--
Tekkie

Per Tekkie®:

I have heard that elsewhere and, if true, it sucks canal water.
They want two keys to enable a third one.... so, really, the user needs the two original keys kept safe at home... that leaves a need for at least 2 more: one for daily use, and one just-in-case.
I'm going to take that to one of the Ford fora and see what they say.
--
Pete Cresswell

Let us know what you find out. BTW, the Latin plural of "forum" is "forums" (just kidding).
Per CRNG:

Last reply was to the effect that there is not limit for that year of F-150: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1467281-3-key-limit.html#post16805468
--
Pete Cresswell