DIY Key Duplication ?

Per (PeteCresswell):

Oops - my bad... shb 8-key limit.
--
Pete Cresswell

On Tuesday, December 20, 2016 at 9:18:28 AM UTC-5, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

if the additional key is exactly a match to the original key theres probably no limit.
some vehicles are programed to the chip code and each key has a different code. that would explain the limit.........
but wallmart somehow programs the electronic code, matching the sample key.
for those vehicles theres probably no limit

The computer in the car stores the code when you follow the instructios posted earlier and have 2 good keys. Cloning a good key means you do not need to "learn" the new key. The memory in most cars is capable of "remembering" up to 8 keys.
Cloning a good key gets you around the 2 key requirement for "learning" a new key - but does not allow you to "learn" a new key in the future using 2 cloned" identical keys. It needs 2 previously "learned" codes in order to add another.
Per snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca:

That's my situation exactly: two keys, but one is a clone of the other. ($75 at the friendly local hardware store.... Ouch!).
But now I have 3 more blanks that I want to cut and add.
Any idea if additional keys can be added in that scenario via ProScan?
--
Pete Cresswell

No idea. I've never cloned a key, and never had to add one after losing one. The dealer can do it, and I imagine the pro-scan is similar to what the dealer uses, so might be worth a try. I'd TRY the 2+1 first, in case it does work - -

From 2006 on up, for sure, they can handle more than 4 keys. Not sure about the early ones.

From a 2003 Ford Focus owner's guide: "A maximum of eight keys can be coded to your vehicle."
On Monday, December 19, 2016 at 9:06:28 PM UTC-5, Neill Massello wrote:

wallmarts chipped keys are read by the key machine and all have the exact same code.
so if all keys have the exact same code theres probably no maximum number
Per bob haller:

Since starting to pursue this, I have been wondering if each key's transponder has it's own ID number and, if so, if the vehicle's computer stores them.
It is starting to sound like "Yes" on both counts.
Suspecting that the cloning process is over-priced ($60 at the local hardware store), I priced the device they use: "Ilco EZ®-Clone" and found $2,400. (http://www.taylorsecurity.com/ilco-ez-clone-plus-transponder-from-kaba-ilco /)
$2,400/$60 = Breakeven at 40 keys.
I call that a pretty good margin.... a ripoff, even - considering that they decline to cut a transponder blank unless the customer also pays for the cloning process.
--
Pete Cresswell

What I have been wondering for many years: does all this key complexity reduce auto theft? I suspect not. But it is a nice income stream for the auto dealers.

It DOES reduce car theft - makes it a LOT harder tosay, take a key inpression and cut a key, and a lot harder to hotwire a car too.. It won't stop a pro>
On Tue, 20 Dec 2016 20:09:41 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Then they turned around and came out with the FOB system that makes cars easier to setal. There is a cloner out there that can steal your FOB ID and play it back as soon as the owner walks away. The doors open and the push button start is activated. The only down side for the thief is he may have to readjust the seat and mirror because it will set to the FOB holder.
On Tue, 20 Dec 2016 20:09:41 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

BTW this is becoming a pain in the ass for me. The RFID chip reader in my 20 year old Honda is flaky and it might cost more than the car is worth to replace. So far, I have not figured out how to bypass it.
On Tue, 20 Dec 2016 21:22:39 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

The antenna unit (the part that reads the RFID or whatever tech the chipkey uses) on my Taurus went flakey and I had to replace it. Found out the part was discontinued and everyone on Ebay thought they were made of gold or platinum. I went to my local dealer and he traced the part through 3 substitutions to a part that cost less than half what the original ariginally sold for - and WAY less than the Flea-Bay sellers wanted.
Per snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca:

My thought after hearing about it was that it would require thieves to use a rollback truck or tow truck.
I read that LowJack had an effect on automobile theft: thieves now move the car to another location and let it sit there for some period of time - to see if anybody locates/retrieves it - before moving it to the chop shop, shipping facility, or whatever the final destination is.
--
Pete Cresswell

All the many car & truck thefts around my rural area seem to be caused by those ultra-intelligent, crafty, inventive thieves looking for the keys in the ignition / on the seat / on the dash / console, or my favourite - - hanging from the mirror, screaming " Come steal me ! " Duh. John T.
says...

I don't know where the Lowjack is in a car, but looks like that it could be disabled by the ones taking the car, especially if the rollback used to take it.
I heard the some were riding around in a van that had a boom on it. They would back up to a car, take a cutting torch and cutting the bolts and pulling the engine and trnsmission.
Per CRNG:

And key makers. The device that the local hardware store used to clone my key cost them $2400.... and they charged me $60 for the service.
--
Pete Cresswell

(PeteCresswell) posted for all of us...

Hey Pete, that's how the country works. The company you work(ed) for didn't calculate their prices for your salary alone. They had to add insurance of all kinds, taxes, +++,and profit. They might end up at twice your salary.
They bought the machine and had an operator, you needed it, you paid.
The customer pays for everything...
Pete, I have seen previous postings from you regarding item or service prices. Find a competitor, that's the only way to fight it. Sorry. I'm not trying to be mean or argumentative, you have valid concerns.
--
Tekkie

Per Tekkie®:

I understand all that and it's all good with me.
What I was observing is that a 40-key breakeven point on a $2400 machine is pretty good.
As far as competition goes, I found a locksmith that charged me $3.42 to hard-cut all 3 of my transponder blanks - no transponder cloning required.
From there, if I have both original keys, the vehicle will code the new ones if the correct protocol is followed.
Without both originals, my understanding is that new transponders can be added using a PC app called ProScan connected to a device on the ODBC port - both of which I have.
But I'm currently holding out for the second original key to surface.
--
Pete Cresswell