[SOLVED] Bosch Dishwasher not heating - E09 (solved)

Not actually a question, just summarising.

Bosch Exxcel SMS65E32GB/98 dishwasher tripped the RCD once, and subsequentl y would run a full cycle but show E09 at the end - and didn't heat the wate r at all.

Googling said this was probably a heat pump error, and suggested it was not a DIY fix. Whatever.

Bosch have exploded parts diagrams here

- just enter the model number as the E-Nr number. Then click on Spart part s list and Exploded Drawings. At this point I usually had to reload the pag e to get it to actually display any drawings.

I disassembled the dishwasher following instructions from several videos. Screws are Torx head, of cours.e I had to take off the lid, right hand si de, tip the thing on its back, unscrew cover 0541 in order to remove reserv oir 0540. Clean up the cover and facing prior to replacement. This then al lowed me to move the power module 0660 and gain access to the heat pump 045

  1. I took off a whole lot besides, but this probably wasn't necessary. One video on the web wants you to remove the whole case bottom 0610. While this would doubtless make the job a lot easier, I don't believe it is actually (easily) removable on this model, since I found some crimped metal where yo u might want a screw...

This video covers most of the essentials.

After removing the heat pump, take off seal 0453 as well, which should just easily prise off. The replacement heat pump comes with a new seal, aka Jub ilee clip. Tightening this thing for the new pump was the only really fiddl y bit of the whole job.

The heat pump is drawing 0450 which is part 12019637. Bosch were about half the price of anyone else for this part, so I got it from them, which took two working days.

I spent perhaps three-four hours on the whole job, having never opened a di shwasher first. If I did it again, it would take less than one hour.

Reply to
bblaukopf

A couple of things to add. I have always found that Bosch get parts to me in two days; very reliable. Also, you can print those exploded drawings, which can make life on the floor in front of the appliance a lot easier.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Forgot to mention the actual fault. I disassembled the old heat pump, and f ound it was split into a pump (logically enough) and a separate part contai ning a flexible heating element wrapped around a grounded metal tube throug h which the water flowed (so no scaling problem). There was a larger metal tube wrapped around this - again, grounded. 5mm gap between the element and the shroud, and clear evidence of a large spark across them which had burn ed a hole in the element. No residue left, but I assume a spider or somethi ng had crawled through the gap. The only puzzling bit is that the flexible element itself should be insulated on the surface, so how did the spider sh ort things in the first place.

Reply to
bblaukopf

Maybe a tree fell across the overhead low voltage phases nearby and you got a momentary 480 volts.

Where I used to live, cows would regularly scratch themselves on wooden poles carrying 11 Kv and then make the wires swing until they were in sparking distance.

Reply to
Andrew

It wasn't windy. If there'd been a storm going when the RCD tripped in the first place we'd have noted that as a cause.

In any case, I'd be amazed if the only damage caused by a voltage spike was to the dishwasher pump!

Reply to
bblaukopf

How old is your example, out of interest?

I guess you paid about GBP40? That sounds like part pricing is reasonably sane. I have some experience with Miele - they have a surprising number of parts for older models, but the prices are somewhat painful.

Ah, but next time it'll be a completely different fault...

Theo

Reply to
Theo

2.5 yrs

That would have much nicer than the £68 I did pay!

Reply to
ben

replying to ben, BACON head wrote: Thats cheap for my model the heat pump cost 130 GBP!

Reply to
BACON head

replying to bblaukopf, Fallkraut wrote: I found all of this very helpful, particularly the video. There?s one problem though. The clip on the hose is sitting the other way around in my case, so that I can?t get to the opening mechanism for it from the open side. Any trick to either still being able to open it, or to turn it around on the hose. Many thanks!

Reply to
Fallkraut

Probably a bit late for Fallkraut, but for anyone else having the same problem, as I did, you can actually free the pump without undoing that clip. Lots of twisting, wiggling and pulling and it comes free. I really, really wish I'd known this before spending an hour trying to get that damn clip off one-handed and by touch alone.

Reply to
tony