lude for a hand held blender

We have a "stick" type handheld blender that's given many years of service. I've noticed recently when washing it that the blade is much harder to turn by hand than it used to be. I say say water has leaked past any seals it used to have.

Is there any lubricant that's safe to use in this "food grade" environment? Don't want my soups ending up tasting of 3inOne. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

You an get food-grade grease for coffee machines ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Plenty, just Google "food grade lubricants".

You need to strip the blender to find the location of the stiffness, IMHO, and they are normally glued together and not designed for stripping.

You could just leave it overnight or longer with the working end submerged in cooking oil. But I suspect there is a buildup of deposits on the shaft / seal / bottom bearing region.

Reply to
newshound

Indeed. That seems to be the case with mine.

No harm in trying it I suppose.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I'd need to disassemble it to replace grease and it's glued/welded together. I really need something with low viscosity and good "creeping" properties.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I had the devil's own job getting wallpaper paste out of mine.

No lumpy walls though :-)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Yes, clean rather than lube is the most likely solution, if it can be cleaned without destruction.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Mayonnaise, but go light on the eggs.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

Any edible oil is likely to go rancid or habour bacteria over time if it's still present internally.

KY?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Cooking oil will gum with time.

My hand blender says to use a "liquid paraffin" oil, as in , place the blender upside down, and let the oil sit on the bearing overnight.

I also found this: "Your ESGE-Zauberstab® benefits from being oiled from time to time. Use a non-acid oil. Hold your ESGE-Zauberstab® upside down and then put some drops of oil at the end of the drive-shaft, then switch on the appliance for about 2 minutes. Finally clean the appliance with hot water."

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

No idea what it tastes like, but possibly Johnson's Baby Oil might do it. Probably water-soluble/miscible, but shouldn't be harmful/toxic to ingest.

I did wonder how baby oil is made - if it's similar to olive oil - but as I'm not a vegetarian I don't really care.

Reply to
PeterC

Baby oil is normally a highly refined mineral oil: same as "liquid paraffin", but shorter chain length so lower viscosity.

ISTR finding suggestions in the past that it could contain palm oil, but from a quick Google just now both Johnsons and generic products seem to be mineral oil.

Reply to
newshound

Sounds like a strategy; worth a try but I'd still suspect a buildup of solids.

Reply to
newshound

But are you sure its not actual food that has bunged it up? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Almost bound to be Virgin.

G.Harman