Water meter stopcock hex key (2023 Update)

Hi all,

We're in the Thames Water region. About four years ago we had a water meter installed. It's under a plastic cover in the pavement outside the house. I t has built into it a stopcock which has a hexagonal shaft that takes a "ke y" to turn it on and off. Originally there was a plastic key supplied, whic h was attached to a flexible plastic cord within the small underground cham ber itself. However, within a few weeks someone had nicked that, which sugg ests to me that they are in short supply.

To further support this theory, I can't seem to find anything suitable onli ne. If they were available anywhere, I'd expect this to be the place:

However, nothing there. I could use a socket from a socket set, but I don't have any suitably long T piece to attach it to.

Does anyone know where to buy what I'm talking about?

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

Yes - I've seen those. The plastic key that usually lives in the hole is quite flimsy.

Looks like this, doesn't it:

and one with the "key"

Seems it can take a male (socket) or larger female hex key.

But you are right - I can see nothing for sale that matches. I think buying some cheap socket extention might be the best bet.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I suspect this will fit - I know it says 'square' but it also has lugs as you can see.

Bob Eager

What do Thames say, having it missing if there is a major leak in the pavement would be rather embarrassing. Maybe one of the neighbours meters still has one.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

My stop c*ck (pre metering- our voluntary meter is indoors) is about

3/4m down. I made an extension 1/2" drive out of a short piece of 1/2" square steel driven into the end of a piece of steel conduit and a couple of holes a the other end for a screw driver as a tommy bar. Don't forget to tape the socket onto the bar or make use of the little hole in the side of some sockets otherwise you will need the companion device of a magnet on a stick to recover the dropped socket DAMHIKT
Reply to
Bob Minchin

If it's one like this

from Thames I can confirm a socket on a long bar works well. I was lucky enough to have an old telescopic wheelbrace where the spare socket fitted on the handle which did nicely. And our tap turns so easily that I suspect a bit of timber jammed into the socket would do just as well - and would certainly be a lot cheaper than a bar long enough to reach some meters.

IIRC there used to be yellow plastic stopcock keys to fit these meters in local (London) BMs. But I can't recall seeing any lately.

Oh, and it's worth knowing where the tap is if the meter is like MiL's which is under a foot or more of dirty water most of the winter ;)

Reply to
Robin

We lost our key, but replaced it with a 10mm hex key, which works fine. Cheers, Dan

Reply to
Dan

replying to Tim Watts, Marrer wrote:

Sump plug removal tool warm a piece off 22mm copper tubling and tap the correct size sum plug into it tape or glue into copper tube cross drill pipe and use a screwdriver to undo or shut the water supply off/on

Reply to
Marrer

The problem has become moot in the last 4 years...

And yes, I am the OP.

Reply to
Tim Watts

These are likely spambot postings attempting to raise the profile of the linked company - hence the nonsense algorithm generated text.

Reply to
John Rumm

replying to Martin Pentreath, tryigntoworkouttheplumbing wrote: Hi - your post from 2014 re hex key and Thames Water stop valves - I have the same. My question is - to turn it off which way do you turn and how many turns? I've watched a few youtube videos of other stop valves - some are a quarter turn some are 4 or 5 turns. No videos showed how many turns or which way for this type of shut off valve. Thanks

Reply to
tryigntoworkouttheplumbing

which did nicely. And our tap turns so easily that I suspect a bit of timber jammed into the socket would do just as well - and would certainly be a lot cheaper than a bar long enough to reach some meters.

local (London) BMs. But I can't recall seeing any lately.

is under a foot or more of dirty water most of the winter ;)

Hi, did you work out hor many turns and what direction are required please?

Reply to
Sean

very good ,saved me bother.

Reply to