Water meter stopcock hex key

Hi all,
We're in the Thames Water region. About four years ago we had a water meter installed. It's under a plastic cover in the pavement outside the house. I t has built into it a stopcock which has a hexagonal shaft that takes a "ke y" to turn it on and off. Originally there was a plastic key supplied, whic h was attached to a flexible plastic cord within the small underground cham ber itself. However, within a few weeks someone had nicked that, which sugg ests to me that they are in short supply.
To further support this theory, I can't seem to find anything suitable onli ne. If they were available anywhere, I'd expect this to be the place: http://www.tooled-up.com/subcat/plumbers-keys/183/ However, nothing there. I could use a socket from a socket set, but I don't have any suitably long T piece to attach it to.
Does anyone know where to buy what I'm talking about?
On 26/10/14 00:19, Martin Pentreath wrote:

Yes - I've seen those. The plastic key that usually lives in the hole is quite flimsy.
Looks like this, doesn't it:
http://slayingevil.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/imag0037.jpg
and one with the "key"
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/49036000/jpg/_49036080_49036079.jpg
Seems it can take a male (socket) or larger female hex key.
But you are right - I can see nothing for sale that matches. I think buying some cheap socket extention might be the best bet.
replying to Tim Watts , Dan wrote:

We lost our key, but replaced it with a 10mm hex key, which works fine. Cheers, Dan
replying to Tim Watts, Marrer wrote:
https://www.sealantsandtoolsdirect.co.uk/onc_images/product_image/large/28757.jpg
Sump plug removal tool warm a piece off 22mm copper tubling and tap the correct size sum plug into it tape or glue into copper tube cross drill pipe and use a screwdriver to undo or shut the water supply off/on
On 25/06/18 19:44, Marrer wrote:

The problem has become moot in the last 4 years...
And yes, I am the OP.
On 26/06/2018 04:46, Tim Watts wrote:

These are likely spambot postings attempting to raise the profile of the linked company - hence the nonsense algorithm generated text.
--
Cheers,

John.
On Sat, 25 Oct 2014 16:19:37 -0700, Martin Pentreath wrote:

I suspect this will fit - I know it says 'square' but it also has lugs as you can see.
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/level5/module.jsp?moduleId=cpc/608780.xml
wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
What do Thames say, having it missing if there is a major leak in the pavement would be rather embarrassing. Maybe one of the neighbours meters still has one.
Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Martin Pentreath" <martin snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Martin Pentreath wrote:

My stop cock (pre metering- our voluntary meter is indoors) is about 3/4m down. I made an extension 1/2" drive out of a short piece of 1/2" square steel driven into the end of a piece of steel conduit and a couple of holes a the other end for a screw driver as a tommy bar. Don't forget to tape the socket onto the bar or make use of the little hole in the side of some sockets otherwise you will need the companion device of a magnet on a stick to recover the dropped socket DAMHIKT
If it's one like this
http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab101/rbw0/watermeter.jpgfrom Thames I can confirm a socket on a long bar works well. I was lucky enough to have an old telescopic wheelbrace where the spare socket fitted on the handle which did nicely. And our tap turns so easily that I suspect a bit of timber jammed into the socket would do just as well - and would certainly be a lot cheaper than a bar long enough to reach some meters.
IIRC there used to be yellow plastic stopcock keys to fit these meters in local (London) BMs. But I can't recall seeing any lately.
Oh, and it's worth knowing where the tap is if the meter is like MiL's which is under a foot or more of dirty water most of the winter ;)
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid