Using Wago lever connectors in a non-Wago box?

I've been very impressed with Wago boxes & lever connectors [1] so far, but on the TLC website I've only seen the one kind of box, which takes T&E (or similar). Is there any reason not to use the Wago lever connectors inside a bog standard 3-way conduit box [2]?

Thanks, Adam

[1] [2]
Reply to
Adam Funk

Lack of strain relief, perhaps?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Absolutely fine - it's one if their intended uses:

As long as you meet the requirements for cable support (ie clipped just outside or glanded in or restrained some other way).

Treat it the same as sticking a terminal strip in a box.

Here are some supportive pics:

(Glanded flex)

(General purpose)

This box is interesting - seems to have some clips to hold the wagos in:

On the subject of clipping the wagos down, it's not necessary - see page

8 in the manufacturer's leaflet:

Q "Do they need to be fixed in an enclosure?"

A "The junction box connectors do not have to be fixed down in the housing provided that the cables are secured on their way into the box. However, fixing provides a more secure and professional looking finish..."

I'll be using Wagos in various boxes for my lighting junction boxes.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I take the view that they should be treated as you would a terminal strip - with the exception that Wagos are rated maintenance free and this *could* be installed in inaccessible locations.

Reply to
Tim Watts

That's just what I had in mind (& forgot to type).

What am I missing? I don't see the glands in that picture (it looks like holes that the flex just squeezes through).

Reply to
Adam Funk

It would be assumed that the cable would be clipped or tie wrapped down near the box.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Fair enough, but I wasn't sure about "glanded".

Reply to
Adam Funk

Those membrane grands are OK for IP protection but not for cable restraint.

Proper glands with lock nuts achieve both.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Ah, OK. I couldn't see anything in the photo that looked like "glands" to me --- I was looking for what you call "proper glands".

Reply to
Adam Funk

explains it all. And I would say that the IP20 rating of a conduit box is only just met when a T&E is shoved inside one of the holes.

Reply to
ARW

And you see the push-fit connectors in the Hager-Ashley JB - pretty sure those are actually Wago's product...

Reply to
Tim Watts

But wouldn't it be nice if they made a big boxy version of that - say

4-5" square with 12 entries each with knockouts and strain relief as a general purpose terminal box.
Reply to
Tim Watts

I meant a conduit box *with conduit connected to it*. Why would anyone use a conduit box without conduit? (Well, I guess if it's the only kind you have in stock...)

Reply to
Adam Funk

I've used them in a wall as a back box for wall lights.

Reply to
Chris French

Klik lighting?

Reply to