Copper pipe - seam???

Never noticed before, but some pipe from my 3 year old stock (BES sourced IIRC) shows what looks like a seam:

Curious... I *thought* copper pipe was drawn. Is that a welding seam or just a mark from drawing.

Anyone au-fait with pipe manufacturing?

Reply to
Tim Watts

That just looks like a scratch to me. Is it visible on the inside?

I assumed it was extruded then drawn to final size.

Reply to
John Rumm

Dunno - I'll have a look tomorrow when I demount it to hole drill the ceiling... Must be a manufacturing scratch though, because it is absolutely regular and perfectly straight. Although this is my "stock" that have been lying around for years, they have been stored nicely in a box in the corner of a cupboard so I'm pretty sure I didn't cause it...

Better check it in case it might impact the seal on a compression fitting as there's one going on the bottom end). Got several lenghts - could relegate this to an all soldered section.

Me too...

As I say, pretty sure BES supplied so it should not be some dodgey crap from some dodgey manufacturer. Although another pipe did have some noticeable pitting, but that could have been really old stuff left over from the previous stock.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Not that I can see - there are various "pencil lines" running longtitudinally - must be just die marks I guess.

The long mark turns out to be 2' long - so yes, must be a manufacturing scratch. It should miss the compression joint so I'll use that as is...

Reply to
Tim Watts

replying to John Rumm, PoorerRichard wrote: We had a three inch copper drain line fail. It just started leaking and it took opening up the base of the wall structure to remove it. It looked exactly ad if a deal had failed lengthwise along the bottom. It was under the floor for more than forty years, but I thought it was good for the life of the structure. I've also heard that the past few years here on L. I., Copper fittings and pipes a re pinholing since our water got hard.

Reply to
PoorerRichard

harry

There was poor quality copper pipe coming into the country in the late

1970s and early 1980s.
Reply to
alan_m

yes, I must have bought some. About 10 years ago, a pinhole appeared in the pipe feeding our storage tank.

Reply to
charles

Not much zinc in a copper pipe harry!

(Dezincification is something that can affect brass fittings, but not copper pipe)

Reply to
John Rumm