Replacing skelaton key mortise mechanism with a turn knob

The doors on our bathrooms have nice mortise locks with holes for "skelaton keys". Of course, the keys are long gone :)

Since this is a bathroom, I would like to replace the key access with a knob on the inside (and perhaps just an allen key hole on the outside for access in emergencies). i.e. I would like to use the original mortise box but now have it activated by turning a knob rather than inserting a skelaton key.

Is it DIY practical to convert a skelaton key mechanism to a turn knob? If so, where can one find the knob.

Thanks, Jeff

Reply to
blueman

I wouldn't mess with converting it. If it is nice, sell it on ebay and get to newer one that just looks like an older one. I have seen a few at nicer fixture places.

Reply to
borgunit

Go to a hardware store, and buy a matching skeleton key. Stick a big glob of 2-part epoxy on the end of it, shape to suit, and paint. Leave the "nob" in the lock.

Reply to
Goedjn

You can buy a key to fit the lock at any real locksmiths. Just take it out and take it with you to ease the selection process.

If you don't lock it, it should function as a normal passage lock. Does yours not have a knob at the current time? Does it have a place for a knob?

In the back of my mind I seen to recall and old style mortise privacy lock but I can't recall it at this time. I will post again if I think of it later.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

My bathroom lock has what you describe. It has a mortise lock with a deadbolt that is operated by a sort of turnbuckle thingie on the inside. Otherwise it is similar to the bedroom door locks, which take a skeleton key.

That being said, in the OP's place I would do as you suggest and just get a skeleton key to fit, and leave it in the door on the inside. My recollection, though, is that if the deadbolt is locked from the inside and the key is still in there, you can't open the lock from the outside even if you have another key, since the inside key blocks the hole.

Reply to
Heathcliff

You'd need a modernization kit or mag plate. some home owners can do this, but it may be "call a locksmith" time.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Reply to
blueman

Yes, I was hoping that you could replace the skelaton form with a rectangular sleeve that would catch a standard rectangular knob shaft on the inside and at the same time allow one to use a screwdriver or other such tool to open the lock from the outside in an emergency.

Reply to
blueman

Try it without the words skelton key.

mod kit

(S0100):0000000000+ZXJENR(S0100):0000032245 Typical mag plate

Reply to
Stormin Mormon