Converting interior mortise lock from skelaton key to thumb turn

We have several very simple 120+ year old interior mortise locks that we would lock to convert from skelaton key to thumb turn (since they are on bathroom doors!).

I have taken the locks apart and they have very simple internal mechanisms. It seems that I would need to replace the lever that is activated by the skelaton key with one that has a standard square hole in the middle so that I could insert a thumb turn.

I have previously tried adding washers to a skelaton key and putting those behind the faceplate to keep the skelaton key in place, but it doesn't give a good solution.

Anybody know how or whom I might use to do this conversion? (note it is an old locks so I assume it will need some combination of welding or custom fabrication)

The lock itself has a 2 1/2" backset with 2 1/4" between the spindle and the keyhole.

Thanks

Reply to
blueman

There are conversion kits available for this purpose.

However, another alternate would be to remove all the skeleton ket stuff, then use a high quality wood filler, like DAP's plastic wood, applied in small amounts at a time over several days. Once it's been filled in, just use a regular lock install kit and paint door. At least this way it will look like it's always been that way.

However, I am keeping my sleleton key locks on all my doors. It's simply easier just to take them apart, clean and lube then, and get the proper key for it, then reassemble.

Reply to
scott21230

I have searched far-and-wide on the Internet and have not seen such kits. Do they work on antique locks? Can you give me a link or reference?

I would prefer to keep the original antique character of the house...

Reply to
blueman