Two sided privacy door knob for connecting door

I'm looking for a door knob set that can be locked from either side without a key, for basically the same situation as described here:

(i.e. door between bedroom and bathroom, both rooms also have doors to landing, so someone who goes into bathroom from landing can lock out the bedroom user, and vice versa, or bedroom user can lock the bathroom landing door and use it as an en-suite. If someone locks the door from one side and forgets to unlock it beore leaving by landing door, someone on the other side can go round using both landing doors so there's no need for the "insert pin/screwdriver here" override on a standard bathroom knob. In my case, the landing doors exist, the connecting door is still hypothetical.)

Anyone got any more helpful suggestions on what I should be searching for?

Reply to
Alan Braggins

One of these on each side?

Adrian

That's the fallback solution, and will be cheaper, but knowing that the neater solution exists but not being able to find it is annoying me.

Reply to
Alan Braggins

Use these on both doors

Or

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Could you buy two of those and use the thumb parts on both sides of the room-to-room door?

Reply to
Mike Barnes

It sounds as though you want door furniture for an interconnecting door between rooms in an hotel, although, IME, they are as likely as not simply to have a sliding bolt on both sides of the door. Sliding bolts have the advantage that they only need a simple visual check to see whether or not the door is locked.

Reply to
Nightjar

The way they work, that would allow it to be unlocked from both sides, irrespective of which side it had been locked from, which I don't think is the idea.

Reply to
Nightjar

Just an ordinary bolt on both sides

Reply to
harryagain

On 06/10/2014 19:36, "Nightjar > pin/screwdriver here" override on a standard bathroom knob.

There probably is for example if you end up with granny stuck on the bathroom floor after a fall for instance....

Ones that have a "locked" indicator on both sides are more reassuring.

And if you are doing it in a situation where you might at some stage have to break the door down in the event of granny having a fall you can either saw and soft solder or just epoxy the catch side down.

The objective being to prevent an accidental opening of the door but always allow you access without too much brute force in an emergency.

Reply to
Martin Brown

"Nightjar

Reply to
Mike Barnes

As someone who had considered the idea there is very little information apart from having two standard bathroom locks where each party must remember to unlock the other's side!

If you want to look further, a typical term for this style of bathroom is a "Jack and Jill bathroom".

I did come across this, but there may be others:

Fredxxx

On 06 Oct 2014, snipped-for-privacy@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Alan Braggins) grunted:

Perhaps you should adopt the solution apparently used by many university halls of residence, my kids tell me.

They use a layout where two single rooms share one en-suite bathroom, accessed by a door either side. These doors have a lock on the outside for security purposes, but not on the inside - no doubt the powers that be have rightly surmised that the occupant of room A would regularly lock the door to room B while using the bathroom, and then go out for the day leaving the bathroom inaccessible to the occupant of room B.

So the doors have no inside locks, and it's left to the occupants to decide how best to avoid disturbing each other while taking a dump (notwithstanding that the accomodation may well be mixed sex.)

My daughter took one look at this arrangement and selected a different university!

Reply to
Lobster

Sound like a 'knock before entering' sign would be more useful. If you can easily unlock it from either side not much point in having a lock. Especially if it can be left locked with no one in the room.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have a "through loo" with doors at each end. My solution is to use "commercial" type loo bolts with a knob on the inside and an "engaged/vacant" dial plus an emergency release slot on the outside which can be undone with a coin. This provides appropriate privacy/security plus lets you get in from either side when the occupant has left by the other side forgetting to unlock both doors. (For a while I had fantasies about electric bolts on a common supply, but sense prevailed).

Reply to
newshound

In message , at

11:41:16 on Tue, 7 Oct 2014, newshound remarked:

Another trick might be to have a pilot light outside each door in parallel with the bathroom light. Most such bathrooms I've seen don't have an external window, so the light being "off" is a reasonable indication that it's unoccupied.

Reply to
Roland Perry

If the bathroom door from the landing allows an override in the normal way, there's no need for the bedroom one to _also_ do so.

Reply to
Alan Braggins

Yes, but related search terms so far give me pages of information on connecting wires to electronic door locks, or this sort of bolt:

I was hoping someone would know terminology that improved the search precision.

There is that.

Reply to
Alan Braggins

Thaks. Well it's cheaper than the estimate on

But at the moment it's looking like two slide bolts on the connecting door it is....

Reply to
Alan Braggins

Unfortunately, no and the architectural ironmongers I used to use, who would certainly have known, closed a couple of years ago. Now you mention it, I don't recall when I last used an hotel that didn't use key card locks, so an electronic lock on an interconnecting door would make sense for them.

Reply to
Nightjar

"Nightjar

Reply to