Indesit Oven

The grill element in a neighbour's oven has one half fialed (it tripped the mains). As a good neghbour I felt it was asking a bit much for me to replace it and politely declined. Just wondering what it might cost if they call out Indesit engineer?

I noticed two screws on the element flange. Can you change the element without removing the oven from its housing?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Usually, yes. It's easy in a new appliance. In a used appliance, it can be very messy due to burned grease, etc, and you might find the connectors have been damaged by heat.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I did one in a Hotpoint (same factory I think) last year.

Certainly, only two screws. But the cables were very short and impossible to remove/refit without removing the rear casing - which of course meant removing the oven from its housing.

Not that difficult - I positioned a Workmate in front, and we lifted it onto that. Isolated at the CU and the DP switch too! but left cable connected.

One of the spade connectors was a sod to get off - there were four, given that it's a two part element.

About 40 minutes work.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Bob Eager wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

I think I am glad I declined. Different if it was mine.I would normally want to remove the original to make sure I was buying the right replacement. This would mean taking the oven out twice and there is an added ping-fuckit built into other people's appliances.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

My experience has been very similar to Bob and Andrew's. I'd do the job for one of my kids, but not for a neighbour!

Reply to
newshound

That is a braver thing to do than just saying yes to your neighbour regardless of how well you get on with them.

Reply to
ARW