Oven light cover

The oven light has gone in our Neff that was installed a year or so ago. The instructions are quite clear about how to change the lamp - start by removing the cover. The cover, however, has other ideas. It rotates a bit - but this just looks like the housing it screws into is rotating a bit. I can't get it to unscrew nohow.

Any suggestions as to how to loosen it off?

Reply to
Tim Streater

It just works.

Reply to
Andy Burns

We've a Neff with a very obstinate lamp cover. A rubber glove helps a lot, although I'm not sure why. Perhaps more effort can go into rotation, when one has to concentrate less on getting a tight grip?

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

Coo err lor' lumme strike a light. Blimey who'd have thought it eh?

Thanks for that. I see this is a not-uncommon problem.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Thanks, I'll try that before investing in a glass gripper grabber.

Reply to
Tim Streater

lor' lumme strike a light. Blimey who'd have thought it eh? I resented paying £5 for a lump of plastic, had tried removing all shelves sticking head in oven to see why it wouldn't budge, using rubber gloves, using various cloths, using squeaky-clean hands etc, the tool got it off in seconds.

They ought to supply one with the damned ovens, while ordering you might as well add a couple of extra lamps to the order to save on P&P in future ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

our Bosch had the same problem.

The tool worked wonders. Also, make sure you are turning the right way.

Reply to
charles

I bought that tool when I had to replace the bulb. Glad I did.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I put a block of wood against it and hit it with a hammer.

-- Richard

Reply to
Richard Tobin

SF "Site" dextrogrip gloves are very good - nice combination of extra grip without much loss of feel.

Reply to
John Rumm

The rubber glove dint help, although a read of the User manual indicates that the RG is the thing to try first, followed by the plastic tool jobby if that fails. This latter comes in two varieties, one for the main & the other for the top oven. As it turns out the top oven cover removed v. easily to expose a 25W smaller blub rather than a

40W as used in the main oven.

What a palaver.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Ah- the Bosch oven uses the same fittings in both ovens

Reply to
charles

Bot on my Bosch over...they are as stated for the Neff.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Lamps don't sound very good if they only last a year. I remember our old belling I don't think we ever changed a bulb in 20 years! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

First one lasted 8 years or more, second one 3 months, third is still hanging on after 3 years.

Reply to
Andy Burns

The official jobby to use came today. Of course it didn't work. As some people on Amazon noted, it just slipped round as the ribs on the glass are not that pronounced and the jobby is slightly oversize.

So I reduced the internal diameter by applying strips of duck tape. With a thickness of two strips it was a much tighter fit and voila! off it came. The lamp is unfortunately small edison screw, which would have been a bugger if it had been done up as tightly as the glass cover, luckily it wasn't too tight.

So, in short, we farted about AND THERE WAS LIGHT. And we saw that it was good.

SWMBO suggested we squirt a bit of WD40 at the join of the glass and the fitting, whether that in fact had a useful impact I know not.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I doubt it. It'll probably have evaporated after a couple of uses of the oven.

If it was me, I'd use graphite powder. And I'd still undo the glass cover a mm or two once it was fully screwed up.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

silicone grease better at high temp and wont reek of fish

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Perhaps my use of the past tense escaped your notice. I was referring to the possible value of WD40 in undoing the glass *today*, not at some arbitrary point in the future.

I left in slightly loose, in fact.

Reply to
Tim Streater