NEFF Built-in oven

I have an old Neff double oven. The big top fan assisted one has stopped heating up. The light and fan come on, but no heat. Just having a look to suss out its take-apart-ability with the view of prodding around inside. Do these things tend to be fixable? Blown element?

Dougie

Reply to
Dougie Nisbet

They are. Parts from:

IMM

All Neff parts are available they do a very good mail order service.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Hughes

... and probably cost almost much as a replacement oven. We had a Neff double oven (and a Neff hob), it was rubbish. Our *much* cheaper Creda is a whole lot better.

Actually if it is just the element then it may not be all that expensive and you may be able to get it from a supplier other than Neff (which will be cheaper).

Reply to
usenet

Yeah - we inherited this Neff when we moved house. I expected great things because they're such a big posh name, but it's nothing special.

I'll have a bit of a take it to bits session and see what I find. If it is the element, will it be obvious? How do I test whether an element is knacked. Will it fail a continuity test?

Dougie

Reply to
Dougie Nisbet

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 20:51:39 +0100, Dougie Nisbet strung together this:

Which salesman told you that??? ;-)

Possibly, it might look ok but actually be totally knackered internally.

Might do, although you really need an insulation tester to do it properly. It's more than likely the thermostat that's gone. First thing to test is that power is getting to the element before you start taking too many things apart, if it is it's probably the element, if not then test that power is going in to the stat, if it is then the stat is knackered if it isn't just keep following the wires back until you find out where the power stops.

Reply to
Lurch

Capitol

That's how we got ours, I don;t know why we put up with it for such a long time.

Yes, should measure something less than 100 ohms which most continuity testers will see as 'continuous'. 24 ohms, 10 amps, 2.4kW 50 ohms, 5 amps, 1.2kW (approximately, I know these figures aren't exactly right but they give the sort of resistance figure you should expect)

Reply to
usenet

Thanks. Great site. Can't find my element model so sent them an enquiry.

Dougie

Reply to
Dougie Nisbet

Finally managed to remove the element. Boy is that oven rusty. The oven is model GB-1057.73LHCS. The element is a circular model, two hoops. It has stamped on it BACKER 01 99 2500W 240V.

My cheapo Radio-shack meter measures about 11 Mega ohms and the continuity test doesn't bleep - which I'm not sure if that's what you meant by 'continuous' - it looks to be open circuit to me, which is what I'd expect on a knacked element. The bulgy outy scabby bits around the element are also a bit of an indicator!

I'm waiting to hear from

about my model number. Otherwise I'll see how expensive NEff are direct.

Dougie

Reply to
Dougie Nisbet

Yes, that's open circuit (assuming you're measuring between the right places of course). A 2500W 240V element should have a resistance of just under 24 ohms.

Backer have a web site:-

might get some joy asking them if they'll supply you one direct.

Reply to
usenet

called me back and I described the element to them. He said it was a standard 2 stud element "they're all the same" (let's hope so!) so I've ordered one for just under 25 quid. Should arrive tomorrow.

Dougie

Reply to
Dougie Nisbet

Top tip! Great site. Fast friendly service. Oven sorted.

Reply to
Dougie Nisbet