Belling fan oven failure

We inherited a built in Belling double oven when we moved into this house. The oven is probably 30 years old. The top of the two ovens stopped working a while ago, so wifey just uses the bottom oven, which is not a problem. We never need both ovens.
Anyway, she was oven cleaning this week, and I fiddled around ('helping'), and realised the top oven does work - it is just the fan that does not work. The element is fine, and seems to go on and off, or at least the indicator light does.
Point is, is there any reason not to use it just because the fan has failed? Presumably using it with 'non fan oven' times and temps would be OK?
Why the fan doesn't work, I haven't a clue. It spins by hand OK, so is not seized. Getting to it seems to involve dismantling the whole lot, and I'm not about to risk a major cock up in the cooker department in the run up to Christmas.
--
Graeme

On Thursday, November 28, 2013 9:41:17 PM UTC, News wrote:

Use with a dead fan would melt the element in no time. Think about it
NT

Why? the fan only stirs the air around in the space. You can run most ovens ietehr with the fan on or off.
--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Thge fan is neccessary. The element often "surrounds" the fan in many cases.
You might find the fan is stuck/tight. They often did this in early designs. Try twirling it. If tight, it might need dismantling and some heat resisting lubricant.
On Fri, 29 Nov 2013 07:22:50 +0000, harryagain wrote:

He said: "It spins by hand OK, so is not seized"
charles wrote:

But the controls will adjust power level, or actually use different elements.
As a secondary issue, many ovens also have an external fan on the same shaft, to cool the housing, which will not be working either.
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk
On Thu, 28 Nov 2013 22:20:41 +0000, charles wrote:

Non-fan ovens are designed to be non-fan. Fan ovens are designed to be fan.
If nothing else, I'd expect serious hot and cold spots inside the oven.
FFS, it's about as ancient as the one that the numpty was asking about the "acceptable" temperature rise on t'other week. Just buy her a new oven as her Xmas pressie. <ducks incoming rolling pin>

new double oven for her, for Christmas, yes, I would have to duck the incoming rolling pin. However, she would be delighted with a cookery book costing a tenner. I just accept, I don't try to understand.
--
Graeme

On Fri, 29 Nov 2013 11:33:47 +0000, News wrote:

New oven _and_ a cookery book. Job jobbed.
On Fri, 29 Nov 2013 11:50:08 +0000 (UTC), Adrian

Don't new ovens often come with a free cookery book? Buy the new oven ,remove cookery book before she sees it and gift wrap it in christmas paper. Christmas present sorted.
G.Harman

and ones we've had can be either - depending on the switch position.
--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18
On Fri, 29 Nov 2013 12:07:06 +0000, charles wrote:

I'm sure - but they'll be designed to run non-fan. I dunno about your "most" - both our current and our old fan oven could only run with fan. They're the only fan ovens I've had, so that's 100% against.