12 v LED lights, red or white

I can't see what I want so I suppose I'll have to cobble up something. I want basically a ball of LEDs that radiate light in all directions, half of them red and half white (or yellow). I'll switch on the different colour s separately. And I want a diffuser over them so they don't look like a pil e of LEDs. If it looked like an oil lamp that would be ideal. No I don't wa nt an oil lamp as it takes too long to change colours.
I could get a lot of LEDs and wire them up 4, 5 or 6 at a time to the 12 vo lts. Or each LED could have its own resistor, but that seems wasteful, and will flatten the battery after a few hours. I don't really care if some LED s are brighter than others, as long as they don't burn out.
The shops that I will be buying the individual LEDs from will have no idea what type they are or what voltage they need. I suppose I'll have to experi ment.
I see LED strip lights are quite cheap. I could roll them up and make a bal l. Do they have resistors? I think not.
Also if I could get a 12v generator that runs off steam at 120 psi that wou ld be good too! But that's for another day.
On Thursday, November 28, 2013 10:20:05 PM UTC, Matty F wrote:

f of them red and half white (or yellow). I'll switch on the different colo urs separately. And I want a diffuser over them so they don't look like a p ile of LEDs.
Baking parchment/ grease proof paper can be a suprisingly good diffuser or oyur local theatre supplier for a riffle through the gel books.
If it looked like an oil lamp that would be ideal. No I don't want an oil l amp as it takes too long to change colours.

volts. Or each LED could have its own resistor, but that seems wasteful, an d will flatten the battery after a few hours. I don't really care if some L EDs are brighter than others, as long as they don't burn out.

Typically 3 white , blue & true green LEDs in series with resistor on 12V r ed, amber, yellow green 4 or 5 in series or bigger resistor ;-)

a what type they are or what voltage they need. I suppose I'll have to expe riment.

all. Do they have resistors? I think not.
Usually do , rolling them round a cylinder in a spiral or as sides a polygo n might be neater,.

ould be good too! But that's for another day.
miniature turbine running an alternator...
On 28/11/13 23:19, Adam Aglionby wrote:

mamod steam engine natch!
--
Ineptocracy

On Friday, November 29, 2013 12:19:07 PM UTC+13, Adam Aglionby wrote:

alf of them red and half white (or yellow). I'll switch on the different co lours separately. And I want a diffuser over them so they don't look like a pile of LEDs.

r oyur local theatre supplier for a riffle through the gel books.
I'm about to purchase some RGB LED bulbs. I want to cover them with somethi ng like gas mantles, but the bulbs are quite large and mantles are too frag ile anyway. I was thinking of putting loose weaved fibreglass cloth around the bulbs. Unless anyone has a better idea.
On Thursday, November 28, 2013 10:20:05 PM UTC, Matty F wrote:

f of them red and half white (or yellow). I'll switch on the different colo urs separately. And I want a diffuser over them so they don't look like a p ile of LEDs. If it looked like an oil lamp that would be ideal. No I don't want an oil lamp as it takes too long to change colours.

volts. Or each LED could have its own resistor, but that seems wasteful, an d
very

EDs are brighter than others, as long as they don't burn out.

a what type they are or what voltage they need. I suppose I'll have to expe riment.
you need to get ultrabrights. Indicator LEDs put very little light out

all. Do they have resistors? I think not.
99p shop ones dont. ISTR they had red & white strings

ould be good too! But that's for another day.
120psi is rather beyond a lego engine.
NT
On Friday, November 29, 2013 12:48:58 PM UTC+13, snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote:

This is the effect I want, but the light being switchable between red and white.
http://i39.tinypic.com/2hqb420.jpg
On 29/11/2013 00:29, Matty F wrote:

Cannibalise a colour change floodlight. The single LED is fixed to a heat-sink (the metal case) with 2 screws. http://tinyurl.com/lj7fqbh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNNnI4zPpG8
I've seen similar warnings about some of the China made white floodlights but the couple I've taken apart were much better made and the earth was connected to the metalwork. The mains to 12V(?) converters were also a much larger than shown in the video and were fully potted.
How large are you going to make your unit and what wattage? When you start getting to 1W or more serious consideration should be given to heat-sinks.
--
mailto:newsadmac(dot}myzencouk

On Thu, 28 Nov 2013 16:29:35 -0800 (PST), Matty F wrote:

Is the white supposed to be bright enough to illuminate the track so you can see the sheep on the line 50 yds ahead or just an "I'm coming towards you" indication?
I can't see whats wrong with a white light source of some sort and a circular frame with a red gel in it that you just drop into a holder in front of the luminaire (or put behind the hinged glass cover?). OK you'll have to get of your bum not just flip a switch but ...
Personally I think multiple sources and some diffusion won't look right.
--
Cheers
Dave.
On Friday, November 29, 2013 10:17:37 PM UTC+13, Dave Liquorice wrote:

It would be nice to illuminate the track but not really necessary as there are street lights.

That's precisely what the picture shows. So somebody has to climb down and run around to the other end, climb up in the dark and put the gel in place, and run back to put some more coal in, making sure the flames don't reach and burn the gel. Meantime somebody else has to lock the controls at one en d and race to the other end. And do this every few minutes. So it's about m inimising the number of things to be done. It's easier to throw a switch.
On 29/11/2013 09:56, Matty F wrote:

You need a longer bit of track, so you don't have to change direction so often.
Colin Bignell
On 30/11/2013 12:31, Nightjar wrote:

Or join the ends up so you have a continuous loop. ;-)
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

----------------
Couldnt you make something up using a solenoid or servo that moves the red filter at the flick of a switch? or even something purely mechanical, bowden cables to pull the red lens into position one end, whilst removing it at the other, could even connect it to the reversing lever to make it automatic?
On 29/11/2013 09:56, Matty F wrote: ...

Could you mount the red filter in a shutter like an Aldis lamp? Then all anybody would need to do is turn a lever to close the shutters, to put the red filter across the light, or to open it, to allow the white light to shine between the shutters.
Colin Bignell
On Monday, December 2, 2013 5:03:58 AM UTC+13, Nightjar wrote:

Yes that would work OK except there's not a lot of room inside the headlamp so it would have to go outside. Maybe when we get oil lamps I'll do that. In the meantime I have found some very cheap LED strip. I'll even use that for my emergency lighting in my house.
On Friday, November 29, 2013 12:29:35 AM UTC, Matty F wrote:

What's currently stopping you?
NT
On 28/11/2013 22:20, Matty F wrote:

Colour changing LED bulb pointing upwards into a round diffuser. It will come with a remote to allow only red or only white
http://tinyurl.com/o7xo6up http://tinyurl.com/oc6jtec
Also check white and red LEDS (12V) that are sold as replacement bulbs for cars
http://tinyurl.com/ngnuqxu http://tinyurl.com/p42e8q5
Note: Ebay links are for reference only and not a recommendation for the product or seller.
--
mailto:newsadmac(dot}myzencouk

On Friday, November 29, 2013 12:57:16 PM UTC+13, alan wrote:

Yes I think something like this is what I will buy. The only remaining prob lem is that I will have two lights and two remotes. I assume that if I pres s red on one remote, both lights will change to red, when of course I want the remotes to operate one light only. But since the bulbs will be mostly i n a Faraday cage, the remote will have to be in front of a lamp for it to w ork.
On 01/12/2013 04:01, Matty F wrote:

You really need to define the application.
In the original post you indicted that you wanted light in 360 degrees. In later posts it was implied that the light would be used in a spotlight type fashion requiring a beam angle of possibly less than 90 degrees (the linked LEDS have a viewing angle of 45 degrees). In the original post the request was for solutions for red OR white - not both together but now it appears that red and white need to be on together.
Red or White is one lamp and one remote.
If you have two lights, one each end of the vehicle, then it should not be a problem. You would have to be facing the front of the lamp for the remote to work, as you have suggested. The problem is not the Faraday cage but the remote is Infra Red light and the only place the IR light can enter the bulb is is by way of the same place that the lights exits the bulb. The remote has a relatively short range.
If you now cover the bulb with a gas mantle or fibre glass the remote will not work.
Be aware also that there is a good reason why the bulbs have metal cases - they need a substantial heat sink and a fitting that can provide a lot of free air ventilation and/or a fitting that can connect to the metal to provide an additional heat-sink.
Other products such as colour changing floodlights may offer better possibilities: The LED can be easily removed and screwed directly to a large piece of metal as a heat-sink. The remote sensor is separate and the connection wires extended so it can be mounted external to the light fitting. The downside with this approach is that some electronics knowledge is required and maybe that the flood light control circuits don't run from 12V.
Another alternative is something like http://tinyurl.com/pe2pdod Data sheet shows typical resistor values Similar products available elsewhere/ higher wattage devices also available. A cheap source may to be to buy a colour changing floodlight and just use the LED.
12V supply, a few power resistors bolted to a heat-sink, the LED bolted to a substantial heat-sink and a few switches. The heat sink could be the back metal panel of the light. For white switch on all LEDs, for red just switch the red LED. You may have to tweak the resistor values for green and blue to get the the white light. This is a low tech approach and not that efficient on overall power.
Type of resistor package http://tinyurl.com/qyn5xm7
--
mailto:newsadmac(dot}myzencouk

On Sunday, December 1, 2013 9:51:59 PM UTC+13, alan wrote:

At each end of the vehicle there is a two foot diameter reflector. The forw ard end has to have a white light and the rear light has to be red, then th e colours have to be swapped over when the vehicle is moving backwards:
http://i39.tinypic.com/2hqb420.jpg
In the above photo there is an ordinary incandescent bulb around 60mm in di ameter. This sends light backwards and sideways into the reflector, and a b it out the front. However the effect I want to see is a two foot diameter c ircle of light shining forwards, not just a little bright spot in the middl e. All of the LED bulbs and LED spotlights I have seen will not shine backw ards into the reflector, so are no good. I'm now leaning to the idea of wrapping an LED strip around a copper or bra ss tube. If I wrap both a white and a red LED strip, that is very easy to c ontrol with a simple switch. If I use an RGB LED strip I will need two cont rollers. Since those can be some distance away from the LEDs they will work if the LEDs are covered by mesh. Those particular controllers are IR, but others are radio frequency hence t he problem with accidentally switching both lights at once. However using no controllers is easier and cheaper, so I think I'll go with that.

Probably not a solution but you might try the effect obtained by interposing the *prism* type diffuser used on some fluorescent strip lights.
--
Tim Lamb