LED shop lights

I just got a couple of new LED shop lights to replace the old F40 T12s that were cranky and did not like to start.

The savings in power is significant if you had a lot of them. The LED is about 20 watts, the F40s are almost 110 watts. (19% of the power used for more light) It works out to 1.2 cents an hour per fixture Payback is somewhere around 3333 hours, minus whatever I spent on lamps.

8 hours a day for 416 days.

I think it is a deal.

Reply to
gfretwell

I may should have asked you what kind you bought. I just ordered 3 from Home Depot to replace some F40s that are in my basement. The tubes were burnt out of one of them and going in the other. I don't really care abou tthe savings as that would take a long time for payback, but need the light. At the cost of the F40s, the whole thing would only be about $ 30 each. For some reason the F-40s don't seem to last all that long in the fixtures they are in. I have another 2 lamps that are on the same lenght of time (on same switch) and they have lasted much longer, but are in a differant type of fixture. For some reason the tubes in the shop light fixtures do not seem to last as long as the ones in the regular house fixtures. Not sure if it was the brand of tubes or the ballast type. Did not check either .

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

That is what I got

The ballast make a lot of difference in bulb life and efficiency I know I have some others that are more efficient than the one I have pictured because I measured them at 700 MA instead of the 890. The one I measured in the picture is like the ones I tossed. (magnetic ballast)

Reply to
gfretwell

Those are the ones I bought also. I was trying to decide on those or some sold by Lowes. There is a local Lowes store,but the Home Depot is around 20 miles down the road.. I just decided to go with HD as they have free shipping for the ammount I bought. Looked like the light output was slightly less but they last longer. Also liked the way you could put a couple of them together. Where I want them, two will be about a foot apart (distance not critical) and it looks like they have a 13 inch jumper that will just plug in.

I have not decided if I want to install a receptical in the floor joists or just to hard wire them in like the others are.

If they work out I will probably get two more for another area of the basement to go over some work benches.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Years ago when I put the fluorescent up, I put receptacles in the ceiling for them so they just plug in. I did save the jumpers tho.

Reply to
gfretwell

Costco has just started selling the LED bulbs only, so you don't have to change the fixture. They look and fit just like a standard T8. Nice color as well -

4100K which works well in residential utility rooms. Not the 6500K bright white.

Strange feeling as they use a plastic tube, not a glass tube. The back side of the internal LED strip isn't lit, which leaves a stripe, so you have to make sure that rolls up against the fixture.

They are still a bit spendy though US$19/pair - about double what T8s go for.

Reply to
Arthur Conan Doyle

I would be curious what the total consumption is, since you still have the ballast in there. Swapping them is about as easy as swapping bulbs anyway. They plug right in and hang from the same chains.

Reply to
gfretwell

Don't know - the bulbs are 17w vs. 32w.

I have 4 four lamp fixtures in the garage and a 5th in the utility room. All are hardwired in. Not that hard to change them out, but unless the ballast is going to go out soon or consumes a lot of electricity on it's own, why bother?

Reply to
Arthur Conan Doyle

Reply to
gfretwell