4 foot LED shop lights - radio interference

Just bought a couple Armacost 4 ft. slim LED light fixtures - very disappointed that they cause radio interference when turned on ! It was not a new issue to their customer service - but they just recommended that I return them for a refund ... :-( Has anyone else experienced radio interference with LED lights ? ... any fix for it ? These are sweet light units - more expensive than most - and I'd like to keep them.

John T.

Reply to
hubops

could try a ferrite core on the power cord - I had problems with RF remote on cieling fans with cheap LED lamps

Reply to
Clare Snyder

"radio interference" is pretty non-specific. AM radio? FM radio? Strong signal area? Weak signal area? If it is a weak AM signal being interfered with that is not surprising at all. As someone else posted the proper ferrite cores applied to the cord as close to the fixture as possible is one possible remediation but the core has to be chosen for the frequency range for the best results but will only work if the cord is acting as an antenna for the interference.

The proper, if painful, path to follow is a complaint to the FCC about an interfering product -- they are supposed to be tested for and designed to prevent interfering with communications.

Reply to
John McGaw

FM radio ; strong signal; in the same room. Hopefully moot - once I install the lights in the basement. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Lights should NOT interfere with FM!!!!! Is it a powered radio or battery? Try checking to see which side of the panel the lights are on and put the radio on the other side as a test - sounds like the noise is coming through the power, not the air

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Either way - the end result is the same .. Perhaps folks reading this will be aware and test their LED fixtures for radio interference - prior to installing them. I'd be really PO'd if these lights were meant for my kitchen where my radio is on 14 hours per day ! John T.

Reply to
hubops

Did you ever think that the problem is the radio, not the lights? There is no guarantee of noninterference, just limits on emissions. As noted here, emissions can come in two ways, radiated (through the air) and conducted (through the power cord). Clair is right, it's highly unlikely the problem is the lights radiating in the 88-108MHz FM band.

Reply to
krw