Protect Metal Surfaces

My woodworking tools get rust. My tables gets rust.

What is the best protective stuff to apply to the table saw, bandsaw table etc.

Reply to
OtterGuy

Apply a dehumidifier to the room.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

First, you must determine _why_ they get "rust".

If the environment they're stored in is quite humid, get a dehumidifier; surface coatings will likely be insufficient.

If someone is setting beer mugs on the table saw, and the condensate is being left behind, don't let them into your shop.

If the shop is subject to wide temperature swings and humidity, get some rigid dense foam, cut/glue it to make a cover for the saw (so long as it completely covers the top and is 100% in contact with the top, moisture in the air can't condense on the cold metal surface)

Otherwise, a thin coat of paste wax is the most efficacious method.

Or you can spend money on various commercial surface coatings, topcoat and dry coat come to mind.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Spalted Walt

My workshop is in the garage so not able to control humidity.

I have been told that paste wax does not work.

OtterGuy wrote:

Reply to
OtterGuy

I agree with the above.

While I can not say my old table saw table looks like it did when it came from the store 50 years ago, my father in law, from whom I inherited the saw, would be proud of the way I have keep it up.

Every time I am doodling around the saw I put on a coat of a good car wax. Periodically I use a cleaner polishing compound on the table so the wax does not build up. When rust spots do appear I carefully remove them with a very fine piece of sand paper.

Special attention must be made to keep the miter slots clean.

I don't use dense foam for a cover, but a piece of 3/8" plywood. In my case the plywood works better because it is less prone to damage. It will not be damaged if a tools falls on the saw. It repels glue, paint, oils or other solvents that would harm the saw, OR penetrate the foam and cause a larger mess.

Reply to
knuttle

PS: My work shop is in my garage, and I use the same technique on my handsaw, bandsaw, drill press, metal rulers, t squares, and all tools that are p

Reply to
knuttle

I use Butcher's Bowling Alley Wax. Easy to apply (but with all such products, you reapply as needed) but does not contain any silicone (which causes fish-eye with finishes).

Other waxes will do as long as you avoid any that contain silicone (i.e. most "car" waxes)

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Watch out for the car waxes that contain silicone - silicone may transfer to work causing finishing defects.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Please do not top post in your replies. It is not the standard in this forum. Thanks!

I don't know where you heard that paste wax doesn't work.

DAGS - will paste wax prevent rust -

Just don't use anything that contains silicone. Silicone can transfer to the wood and will affect many finishes. finishes

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I've had good results with Boeshield T9

Ed Pawlowski

As have I. It seems to last forever and works exceptionally well. Just don't put it on too thick or the wood doesn't slide well.

Reply to
krw

BoeShield - or much cheaper and easier to get your paws on - fluid film.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

My Myford lathe is in unheated garage and gets a light coating od Fluid Film and it does the job.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Boeshield is available at the Borg. Fluid film is about half the cost but isn't available at the local store. A can of Boeshield has lasted me several years.

Reply to
krw

EVERY Location is different. Temp and humidity have a great deal to do with rust.

Wax is ok under very controlled environments.

The biggest issue is condensing moisture. If you equipment gets cold and is sudden exposed to warm moist air hardly anything will help.

I personally use GlideCote. Nothing else has lasted more than a day or two. And GlideCote is not perfect.

Actually "USE" is the best for protection assuming there is no condensing moisture.

AND FWIW if you actually use your tools your sweat will be an issue.

You just have to experiment with what works best for you in your situation.

Reply to
Leon

Lasts for ever. ;~) I tried Boeshield on my brand new, 20 years ago, Jet TS. I had rust the next morning.

Reply to
Leon

I put it on my 10YO Unisaur. I think I've re-applied it once since. No rust. Put it my drill press about 8 years ago. I've never re-done it and no rust. I still have the original can.

Reply to
krw

No Doubt!!! As I mentioned in another post, it all depends on your location and conditions as to which product will be adequate.

I still have my original 20 year old can of BoeShield too. :~)

I wonder what else I could use it for...

Reply to
Leon

Here is a thought, maybe Boeing could spray it on their grounded 737 Max airplanes and.....

Reply to
Leon