rust on hammock poles

Good afternoon, I have a hammock with metal poles. Sometimes the weed-eater gets a little too close to the poles and will chip the paint and along with the morning dew and rain, the poles have paint coming off and rust is forming.

After getting the old paint off, sanding and painting the poles is there a type of spray that will put a rubber coating on the poles to protect them from further weed-eating? I know there's a rubber coating you can dip tools in to form rubber around the handles. . I even thought about getting some type of pipe/pole covering that would prevent the weed-eater at chipping away at the poles. Is there any type of covering? Anything along the lines of pvc pipe that I could use to fit over the poles?

I would prefer not to put weed killer around the hammock. Besides, with the poles being on the ground rust would eventually form again.

Thanks in advance Elliot

Reply to
Elliot

Define 'poles', please. Is this like clothesline poles (ie, actual pipe), thinwall tube like a modern kid's swingset, or what? If this hammock has permanent poles, you could always encase the bases in concrete. Is there an industrial supply in your town? If so, they all carry protective wrap things used in factories and parking lots, to make their posts scuff-proof. Most have a cap, though.

Me, I'd just brush on a thick coat of rustoleum once a year or so, on the bottom couple of feet. Emphasis on BRUSH, not spray. You want it thick, so it can stand some chipping before showing the metal to the air.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

We have yard lights at our condo that were constantly pushed over by the doofus mowing the lawn. Solution: plant something that doesn't get mowed. In our case (this is Florida), the plant is a tall, clumpy, grassy plant and surrounds the light posts. Doesn't spread, stays green. I would get some green plastic flower pots, cut out the bottom. Put them in the ground, fill with dirt. Put hammock in place and plant something in the pots. Edging (the pot) will keep plants in and grass out. Or use the pot, lay down some landscape cloth and just place stone around the feet of the hammock.

Be sure to remove all the rust before you paint the legs of the hammock

- rusty metal primer, two coats oil paint. Unfortunately, tubular stuff will rust from the inside, too.

Reply to
norminn

"Pool Noodle." Available at Walmart for about $1.50 for a 4' section.

It's a thick cylinder of polystyrene (or similar), in vivid colors, with a hole down its length. Kids use them in the pool to flay their playmates. You can slit them on a table saw and wrap around the legs/supports of the hammock. They make excellent shock absorbers.

Or you can use them as insulation on A/C lines.

Reply to
HeyBub