Telephone poles

I am thinking of making an observation tower. I have a source for cheap or free telephone poles.

Anyone ever use telephone poles for deck/tower construction?

Caveats?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

White cellon poles tend to snap when stressed. And are also bitches to climb.

Give me a creosote pole any day.

Reply to
DCT Dictator

Yup. We used to use old poles for helicopter pads at remote construction sites. Poles and crossarms. If you want to stick a cut end into the earth, treat it first.

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

I used to hate gray poles, green poles and thankfully, never had to climb Black Diamonds. Not very comfortable on a gray or green when your hook only goes in 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch!

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

Yes, but perhaps a bit bigger and more complex.....................

Reply to
SteveB

You mean, sort of like this?

No, nobody ever does that.