Tinted hammock-style furnace filter

Hi

My forced air (gas) home furnace has a hammock-style air filter. I use these fiberglass Trim-To-Fit filters made by a company called Duststop.

Their instructions say to place the "tinted" side facing the air exit. But, I'm not sure which side is the "tinted" side. One side is loosely knitted and is a blue color. The other side is more tightly knitted and it is white. There are some definitions of "tint" that say it involves adding some white to a darker color. There are some definitions of "tint" that say it involves being slightly colored as opposed to not colored.

So which side, the white (tight knit) or the blue (loose knit) should face the air exit in order to trap the most dust?

TIA

Reply to
Joey Goldstein

The blue is the tinted side based on your description...loose Air should flow into the loose side and exit the tight woven side.

Reply to
Brian V

Reply to
mwlogs

Yeah. I understand that. That's why I'm confused.

Reply to
Joey Goldstein

Loose knit goes to the incoming air to stop the larger particles in teh air, the knit gets tighter to stop the smaller particulate... Thats the proper way, regardless of the color.

Reply to
steve

Thanks. That's the way I have it now and I seem to be sneezing less than before when I had it the other way. I actually had a guy, an "expert", from Direct Energy, here in Toronto, clean the furnace last month and he told me to put it in the other way. The house has been dusty and I've been weezing ever since.

Reply to
Joey Goldstein

You took the filter out, turned it around, and stuck it back in, and you're wondering why it's suddenly dusty? How about because all the crap that you collected on the (previously outside) side of the filter is now being blasted off the (now inside) side of the filter, and distributed throughout the house?

Reply to
default