painting furniture with tinted primer

To cut down steps on painting an old headboard and night stand, I want to know if I can have the paint store add a tint of color to the primer?

Reply to
Diane

It's not a simple yes or no answer.

The paint store can tint the primer or you can tint it yourself by adding a little regular paint to the primer. However, you don't want to add so much that you change the properties of the primer.

Some folks say that tinting primer with some black tint to turn it slightly grey is the best solution. I would go to a local paint store (as opposed to a home center paint counter*) and talk to an expert*. A lot of it depends on what you are painting, what you are painting with, the color, etc.

*I'm not denigrating all home center paint personnel. They can be hit or miss. I like the personal touch of a dedicated paint store where there is a better chance of talking to someone with expertise.

You could also call the paint company and get their instructions for their paint.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Sure, virtually all primer is tintable (but they don't use paint to do it as the other poster suggested).

But, it's also getting much harder to even find pure primer; most paints now are combination primer/paint so depending on what you're thinking of using mayhaps the step to cut out is the primer itself.

Reply to
dpb

I prefer primer to be a distinctly different color from the final coat.

That way I know when I have a good coat of primer everywhere, and then the contrast with the final paint coat lets me know that I've done a nice job of putting the paint where it goes.

If the two colors are too close together, my aging eyes have trouble seeing the difference.

Reply to
TimR

I don't know where you shop, but you can buy "pure primer" just about anywhere paint is sold. I would certainly not characterize it as "getting harder to find".

Heck, even Home Depot has pages of "pure primer" products.

DerbyDad03

On 12/20/2016 10:38 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote: ...

Well, latex, yes...was thinking of the search I went through to find a gallon of exterior oil-based primer last week when writing...only one gallon on any shelf in town other than the "high-priced spread" at the S-W store and I really didn't want to pay their price premium for the particular job...

Reply to
dpb

Check Ace Hardware. I was in the local store yesterday looking for hammer paint. They had one but I noticed some oil base primer.

Reply to
dadiOH

Neither had any oil-base anything other than the farm supply the line of Van Sickle equipment OEM paint colors...but they didn't have any primer in stock in anything but rattle cans.

The Best Value franchisee (Mead Lumber) had a couple gallons of a Zinnser product and that was it for town.

Reply to
dpb