Advice needed on painting outdoor teak furniture.

A client wants her heavy teak outdoor chairs painted (low lustre) white.
I asked Benjamin Moore what primer and paint they'd recommend I use.
They said that: "Due to the nature of teak being an "oily" wood, it has proven to be non-conductive for long term adhesion of paints. At the present time, we do not offer a primer and paint coating system that is recommended for painting teak."
Does anyone have a positive experience painting outdoor teak furniture that has borne the test of time? What primer and paint did you use?
Thanks for any advice,
Tony

Positive? No, teak can't be successfully painted, or varnished. It should be oiled to protect it.
If your client doesn't understand that she'd be ruining some (probably expensive) teak chairs, I'd suggest that you should look for other clients.
Sorry if that comes off as me being a jerk, but there are some things that one should never, ever do.
If she wants white chairs (why, white would look like crap in a year!) then take her to 'The Pine Barn' and have her buy some new ones.
I have to agree with Peter...dont paint teak, you oil it or leave it be, it weathers well outdoors, but oiled looks better, she is better off getting some PVC outdoor furinture.

It's not recommended to paint teak. Perhaps you could bleach the colour out of it? Never tried it on teak but som oak went quite white.
http://antiquerestorers.com/Articles/jeff/using_wood_bleach.htm
Thanks for the help, guys.
Tony
On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 23:57:21 -0000, "Cwatters"

My experience with teak is that it will not bleach well... It is a 'rich' wood with good color and properties, and trying to hid it behind a coat of paint is foolish! <g>

Only an idiot would paint teak, Get a Teak cleaner Oxalic Acid and clean it, then oil it. Grey teak is also nice. You could use an oil primer and paint but it may not last.
replying to ransley, Pebbles wrote: OK I am that idiot I fell for the charms of chalk paint and painted my very weathered teak outdoor furniture in Louis Blue - looked fantastic especially with the beige cushions. However after a long hot summer in Portugal the furniture, although still blue is flaking badly. Of course not I realise that because it is an oily wood it is leaking out all the time. so what do I do with my flaking blue furniture???? I am going out to Portugal in June and need to do something.
replying to ransley, Jane Jones wrote: Hi, I have a memorial bench for my dad, it's teak and beautiful. I have looked after it for 17 years. My stupid nephew has gone and painted it. To say I cannot speak is an understatement. Is there any way I can restore this now or is the bench ruined for ever? please help me...