gas pipe rust and paint

When my house was built (about three years ago), the builders neglected to paint the gas pipe on my side of my meter and that pipe has now developed a nice coat of surface rust (it's normal black gas pipe). The pipe on the gas company's side of the meter was painted and looks the same as when I moved in.
(1) Is the rust/rusty color a problem and something I should correct? The rest of the houses on my street (built during the past 1-5 years) are in a similar situation.
(2) I assume that I should paint over the rusty-looking pipe so it doesn't corode or develop into a problem. What is the appropiate paint to use here?
Thanks.
Use a rust inhibitor like Extend. You spray it on and it turns the rust black. Then spray it with some Rust O Lium.
--
"Jeff Six" < snipped-for-privacy@udel.edu> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Paint it if it gives you a warm fuzzy feeling. The chances that it will rust through in your life time is pretty slim. I have seen alot of gas pipe that is 30-40 years old, that other than the nice coating of rust, is in good condition. Code in our area now requires it to be painted, but I have installed a ton of pipe that was not painted, before the codes changed. Greg

rust
My 15 year old gas pipe rusted out, so it is certainly possible.

What was the circumstances? Low to the ground? Underground? Sea side? It is not impossible for it to rust out, just unusual. Greg

Hanging from a deck on the northside of my house. Probably took a while to dry out after it got wet; but it did rust out.
replying to Greg O, Flash wrote: I had black pipe rust right through and the power co. Turned my shit off, don't tell me it don't rust!!! Just looking for a suggestion on how to prevent it

Asphault coat all underground black pipe. Asphault and wrap better yet.
Jeff Six wrote:

The only real problem is cosmetic, however, a couple of coats of Rustoleum can't hurt. Just make sure you wire brush and/or sand the pipe thoroughly before priming and painting.
Matt

When I put an addition on my house 15 years ago local code required wrapping iron pipe in plastic to protect it. It might be worth a call to your building department to see what they required 3 years ago. There might be a big lawsuit brewing, if the contractor is still in business.
toller wrote:

Go chase your ambulances somewhere else.
Matt
replying to Matt Whiting, J-Dawg wrote: I think the idea is just to have the builder pay to have it brought up to code if they didnt in the first place. Probably it was not required. But its a good suggestion to check anyway.

I think wrapping or coating is only required if the pipe is going to be buried, though I could be wrong and checking certainly isn't a bad idea. The gas company may be a better and quicker source of info.
A condo complex where I used to live had black pipe that was not properly coated and was buried from the meter till the point where it went inside the unit. The builder pulled all kinds of short cuts. In the case of the gas pipe, it was clear that after the pipe was installed, they just poured the tar sealing compound over the top of the pipe as it was laying in the trench. The top of the pipe was coated, but not the bottom.
I would never believe this if I had not seen it myself. Within 5 years, the gas pipes were all failing from corrosion. I held pieces of it in my hands and the bottom of it had so many holes, it looked like swiss cheese. One would think that if it were not properly coated it might fail at some point, but I would never think it would occur that quickly. I can only guess that it may have been some real cheap foreign import, which may have made it fail even faster. We wound up replacing the pipes in 120 units.
replying to Chet Hayes, J-Dawg wrote: Yup. We had to do 7 of them this year. They dont do discounts for associations either!! Such a nightmare.
On 19 Oct 2004 14:12:59 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@udel.edu (Jeff Six) wrote:

How many years do you think it would take to rust through?

The pipe on the gas company's side isn't painted, its poly coated.
JTMcC.

Where it enters the meter it is plain old painted pipe. Below the shut off where it comes out of the ground it is more than likely poly pipe with a steel jacket! Greg Greg

The connection to the meter is probably painted, but the line from the hot tap to the riser is most likely poly coated steel pipe. All underground gas piping is either coated or taped these days. Even if you have a plastic service from the main, the riser will probably be coated steel Where in the world are gas companies putting a steel jacket on plastic pipe??
JTMcC.

gas
All over the US! Running steel pipe underground is getting to be a thing of the past. The poly, not plastic, polyethylene actually, pipe is direct buried in the ground. The poly pipe is connected to a "riser" that is nothing more than a poly pipe with a steel protective jacket. The poly runs right through to the fitting. The steel jacket does nothing more than ward off weed trimmers, hungry dogs and the like. I have actually installed a fair bit of under ground myself, and have been around when the gas company does their side of the meter. On my job we use the same pipe the gas company uses. Greg
Greg O wrote:

Poly = plastic.
Matt