Washing machine basket rust - possible to fix, or buy new basket?

Hi, I have a 4-year old Kenmore Elite washer:

Serial: CK 4702946

Model# 110 20932993

The basket has spot rusts on it, around a few of the little holes. It's starting to make rust marks on our clothes.

Is it possible to epoxy over the rust spots? Or will I have to buy a new basket?

I currently have an Email to Sears to see if it's under warranty.

Reply to
bryanska

My kenmore washer is rusty too. I use an expensive spray can of white epoxy enamel paint on it after sanding and wirebrushing the rust spots down to bare metal. Several coats per instructions on the can.

It lasts about 3 years and then I do it again.

Reply to
JimL

You'll be better off sanding off the rust and applying appliance paint on the bare spots.

Also, you might want to start removing your wet clothes from the washer more quickly. Those rust marks don't transfer to clothes very quickly. You must be leaving the clothes in the washer for quite some time.

OJ

Reply to
Orenthal

Thanks, if it comes down to paying for a new basket, I'll try this first.

Any recommendations on brands, etc of paint?

Also, how can you tell it's wearing out?

Reply to
bryanska

That's correct. We first noticed it then. Now we're removing them right away, until we can get this fixed.

It's a very nice washer otherwise. All sorts of options. I can't afford one as nice, if I had to buy new.

Reply to
bryanska

There's a product called Extend used for automobiles. It reacts with the rust, seals the metal, and turns black. Follow the directions carefully. It is best to leave the lid in the open position after every wash to dry out the basket.

Reply to
Phisherman

Sears has the basket for $89, local pickup at any Sears store.

The basket porcelain has a lifetime warranty, and they will repair. The visit, with labor, is between $110 and $140.

I found this site:

It details how the Kenmore direct-drive cabinets are opened. I am going to pull the basket myself - this is an easy fix, now that I know how to open the thing up.

I will post with any future discoveries or problems. Thanks for the help everyone!

Reply to
bryanska

You will be spending almost half the value of a new unit. Baskets are often well frozen onto a splined shaft and can be impossible to remove. I think I would assure myself that I could get the original basket to move before making the decision. You can perform this experiment without taking the case apart. ______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

Reply to
DanG

On 30 Jul 2006 10:12:05 -0700, "bryanska" wrotF:

POR-15

It's made for car restoration but will solve ANY rusty metal problem. You don't even have to remove all the rust.. But it's pretty expensive and once the can is opened, it cannot be closed and re-used. Comes in only one color - black

Reply to
46erjoe

I don't know if this will solve your problem, but here goes. There is a product made by ironout inc. that is supposed to clean out soap scum and mineral deposits from the washer. It's called washer magic. It's somewhat expensive, but may be worth looking into. If it is like most products of this type, they recommend to use it every few months.

Reply to
Shane Hecker

I depend on the store guy to tell me the best brand. But avoid the bargain brand 99cent stuff.

Rust will start to appear at either your paint job or in new places. Bleach products will make stainless steel rust, so you bank on it that it's gonna happen again. Plan for it. That means plan on replacing your washer.

I agree with removing clothes as soon as the buzzer goes off, which will guarantee no rust stains

Also leave the lid up and let it dry out between wash days and also wipe it down with an old towel before adding clothes to wash.

.
Reply to
JimL

I agree. The washer will have something else fail 22 days after spending $140 on a basket - assuming you can get it off without breaking something else.

Reply to
JimL

Worth a shot. A new Kenmore with comparable features is $479 on clearance from $599.

Reply to
bryanska

Technicians use a small bottle of appliance paint to cover rust. They cost around 5 bucks or so. Get one at any parts counter. You might also check the warranty on the basket. If you are still covered for it, you would just pay labor to get it replaced. These baskets rarely seize to the drive block.

Reply to
nospamtodd