Problem Removing Rusted Kitchen Sink Basket Strainer

My wife Loves All types of Sink Cleaners!

Recently we noticed the undersink waste pipes of our 2 bason kitchen sink were leaking.

I am replacing the entire section from Sink Basket Strainer to trap. The only problem I have encountered is removing a rusted sink strainer.

Using a Superior Tool Sink Drain Wrench on the Kitchen sink basket strainer nut caused the entire basket to turn. Think a Gorilla tightened it!! When a Pipe Wrench was used on the lower strainer basket nut to keep the entire basket from rotating, the lower portion broke off.

Appreciate any suggestions, tips...

Thanks

Gene OHara

Reply to
gene ohara

Get a hacksaw blade holder and atteck the top portion of the basket nut. Keep rotating until it is sliced all the way around, and the rest should pop out easily. You might find some hacksaws that will allow a blade to to be used at a

90 degree angle, but in the confined undersink area the single ended blade holder will be more convenient. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

Drill upward thru the edge of the basket nut in one spot. Use a drill near the width of the nut and the thing will break apart. Wear glasses!!!

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Just had the exact same problem, the cross in the bottom of the basket was gone so couldn't grip the basket. Just took a flathead and a hammer to the nut and luckily it sliced right off!

Reply to
nanaboojoo

nanaboojoo wrote the following on 8/25/2012 9:30 PM (ET): in a response to the OPs question of September 11, 2004.

willshak