Ivan folks

Is your freezer stuffed with bottled water yet? Those 1/2 liter water bottles are great emergency supplies. Freeze them before hand and they will be ice when the power goes out, then they are water.

Reply to
Greg

But you can't get them out without opening the freezer door; and then they probably do more harm than good.

Reply to
toller

This isn't the only place you keep water ... I hope. If you are really in that much trouble they are in a cooler anyway. The insulation of a freezer sux compared to a decent cooler and a cooler opens from the top.

Reply to
Greg

girl on the news said , and I imagine she didn't dream this up, to throw away all food in the refrigerator after the power is out for four hours - so when the power goes away, start wishing for glowing charcoal to go with that frozen water.

Reply to
bumtracks

The height of absurdity is buying bottled water. It's WATER for crying-out-loud! Designer water, to be sure, but still water.

You can get 25 gallons of water in a bathtub. That's equivalent to 200(!) of those piddly bottles. Further, the water in the tub cost you, what, ten cents? The bottled water, priceless.

Don't like the idea of tub water? It's like going to rot and go bad?

Now the bottled-water bottles ARE useful. You can put just about any water in the bottle, put the bottle in the sun for eight hours, and the contents will be virtually bacteria-free.

Reply to
JerryMouse

I tend to agree but after these storms we are always on "boil water notice" anyway and our tap water isn't that good on a good day. I have about $1000 worth of equipment to make drinking water out of what comes out of the ground. My wife still buys the bottles. She works outside and goes through several a day. In a storm prep situation a few cases of water is the cheapest thing you will be buying. Have you priced plywiood lately?

I do find it interesting Aquafina water from Pepsi costs more than Pepsi.

Reply to
Greg