Feit LED Shop Lights at Costco!

I bought 4 of these LED 4' shop lights at Costco for 32 bucks each, regularly $40 at our local Costco. I'll be going back to buy some more (even at $40) as soon as their replacement shipment comes in.

These things are great! I've always loved LED lights because of their efficiency and brightness, however, I hate the fact that they temporarily blind you if you happen to glance right at the diode, giving you that blind spot in your eyes for 5 minutes.

I've also never understood why they have to make LED lights in the shape of older light technologies. Do I really need my LED light to be in the shape of an incandescent bulb? I guess the marketing department thinks we're all too afraid of new things.

In this case, however, I'm glad they make these LED shop lights in the shape of florescent shop light, because they spread the light out very nicely AND they put a white coating over the tubes to diffuse the light. This means I can look directly at the light without being blinded.

These things very bright with a nice, cool, neutral tone that reflects accurate colors for wood finishing. They are only 38watts per fixture! This is less than half what my previous florescent fixtures consumed, and they put out the equivalent of a 250 watt bulb. So I'm getting 1000 watts of light for the cost of 152 with absolutely no heat.

My old shop lights were about $15-20 per fixture plus the $10-12 or more for the daylight tubes I put in them. I ended up replacing ballasts (or entire fixture) every couple years as well as tubes.

These LEDs are already a decent color/tone, start up instantly, and are rated to last 30 years in I use them 6 hours a day, 365 days a year, and use half the energy as florescents.

I have four of them up and the look great, extremely bright, and completely silent. With the white ceiling, the shop is super bright!

Reply to
-MIKE-

[...]

They should have given them to you for free.

Reply to
G. Ross

I bought a similar unit at Sam's last week for $35. Had the same pleasant r esults you did and will replace the fluorescent units as they fail with the se LED devices. I never could understand why a ballast cost more than a who le new shop light but hopefully no more of those or the tubes. LED lighting also helped me with a reading light problem I've had for a while. The 60 w att bulb would heat the rotary switch and the plastic knob would not turn the threaded metal shaft that serves as the off on switch. Cooling the ligh t by unplugging would solve the problem but that was not much of a fix. Tri ed a $5 LED light and the no heat factor made the soft plastic switch probl em disappear. Now if I could only figure out how to keep my well tank/pump safe at sub 32 temperatures without using an incandescent reflector light.

Reply to
BillinGA

Can't believe I'm asking.... but why?

Reply to
-MIKE-

For all that great review you made.

Reply to
G. Ross

I know what it's like blowing money on crappy stuff over and over again, trying to find that which actually works well. So this was a public service announcement. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Your review showed up two times. ;)

Reply to
Leon

Yeah! So good, I did it twice!! :-D I was having trouble with the news server and thought it didn't post the first time.

Reply to
-MIKE-

It was good! Two times!

Reply to
Leon

I've been using 6000 K fluorescents because of the color (bright white) What are the lumens with the lights you describe? And the color temp (if it's available)?

Thanks Max

Reply to
Max

3,700 lumens. 4100°K which is a little under sunlight. I generally prefer something more like an overcast sky, but these are very neutral and I can see true colors in this temp.
Reply to
-MIKE-

Might be good for my garage bench, since my florescent bulbs are slow to brighten in cold temps. But the common old school F40 is rated at 3000 lumens per tube (6000 per fixture), so its sounds like the the LED fixture might be a bit dimmer. Though the LED light may be more concentrated and brighter on the bench top.

Hmmm, might have to try one.

Reply to
Larry Kraus

Does anyone know the MTBF (mean time between failures) of this type of light? I replaced nearly all my regular light bulbs in the house with screw-in fluorescents several years ago. PROs--It makes the greenies happy even though they all contain mercury vapor. CONs--They cost more, at least they did then. The MTBF is only slightly longer than with regular bulbs in my experience. The UV they emit fades pictures and fabrics much faster than incandescents. I doubt I save enough electricity to make up for the cost difference. The LEDs are a relatively new technology, but I have some decorative ones in the kitchen (on a high shelf around the ceiling). They DO eventually fail.

Reply to
G. Ross

Thanks. So happens that we'll be going to Costco today...

Reply to
Max

These seem super bright to me. I do have a flat, white ceiling in the new garage instead of the open joist one in the old place, so I'm sure the reflection is helping.

If you get them at Costco, their return policy is second to none, so you have nothing to lose by trying a couple.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I don't know about their real-life failure rate because it's probably too early to tell on such a newer technology. In my experience LEDs are already proving to have many, many times the life of incandescent bulbs and so much longer than CFLs that it's worth the extra cost even if all others things were equal.... which they aren't.

Setting aside all the political reasons I have for disliking CFLs, almost everything else about them is terrible. Terrible light temps, slow start-ups, they seem to brighten and dim themselves, and much shorter life than rated for.

Hopefully, LEDs will start to take over due to all their obvious advantages. Once demand increases and manufacturing gets more efficient, the price will drop making them much more competitive with CFLs. Hopefully, the whole CFL industry will simply fade away like the light they produce.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I'm curious to know if they have them in stock and their price, if you wouldn't mind reporting back. It's funny to see how different Costcos carry different products and can have vastly different prices. When I was researching these I saw that another store in another state had a regular price that was the same as the special sale price at my local store. What city are you in?

Reply to
-MIKE-

El Paso, TX. Will report back later today. ;-)

Reply to
Max

I've replaced all my incandescents and all CFLs with LED bulbs from costco. Indoor BR-30s for all the cans, globes in the bath, and a few A19's for tabletop fixtures. I also picked up one of the utility lights that you referred to above to use for task-lighting at the workbench (the shop itself is illuminated by 4 fixtures, each with 2x F96T12C50s and electronic ballasts). The F96T12s are power-hungry, so as 8' LED bulbs become available and _cost effective_, the fluorescents will be replaced. Probably with pendant mount LS series, similar to these (color temp 5k):

We have some similar to these at work; quite nice; but not cheap.

I'm very happy with the LED bulbs.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal