Feit LED Shop Lights at Costco!

The LEDs in the costco fixture are pointing straight down; unlike a fluorescent bulb, which radiates light all the way around, the LED version radiates light downward (diffused somewhat by the enclosing tube). That's why these fixtures don't have reflectors.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

We have some similar to these at work; quite nice; but not cheap.

Several months ago I got a bunch of retrofit LED fixtures for all the can lights in out new place from Costco. Not only are they much lower wattage for brighter light, they are dimmable. They also installed in about 5 minutes each.

Reply to
-MIKE-

You are correct about the coating on the upper half. But oddly enough, these actually do have reflectors above the tubes, which are extremely easy to remove... and I did remove them. I noticed a shadow above the lights and wondered if I'd get some reflection if I removed the reflector... and I did. Nothing earth shattering, but enough that I can tell it puts out a more even dispersion without the reflector. Seems counter-intuitive, but it works. It also make the fixtures much lighter.

Reply to
-MIKE-

The main problem I have found with led lights is the waste heat can be excessive, thought about that perhaps lighting needs a 12 volt ac system. As most leds drop only 1.2v to 1.5v depending upon color.

But what do I know.

Mark

Reply to
Markem

I'm glad you asked about the MTBF! I unplugged a LED nite lite in the hall to get the make & model number for this post. It's been in continuous use since Oct 2009, I wrote the date on back w/sharpie so I could see how long it lasted. I say continuous use because after a couple of weeks of fast flickering during daylight, I painted over the tiny photocell with a dab of whiteout.

It's China made, 2 led (dim) 'Amertac 71190A'. Googling reveled it was recalled back in 2012 "Due to Fire and Burn Hazards"!

So THANK you! I'll be replacing it ASAP. But I must say, I've been pleased with it and impressed with its longevity, about 38K hours.

Reply to
Spalted Walt

Well, dayum! No such lights at local Costco. I looked all over the store and finally asked someone. "Sometimes they have items online that we don't carry"

BAH! I did find an LED sentry light That I'll use to replace one on the shop that's disfunctional. ;-) Maybe I should re-word that. The shop is functional. The sentry light on it isn't.

Reply to
Max

Ahh, bummer. My local store ran out but they're getting a new shipment.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Yep. I use 6500K tubes (both in my shop and the stupid kitchen fixture) because they put out so much more light.

Reply to
krw

One more hit on the cfl's is the bug light is just yellow. It doesn't repel bugs like the old bug lights and when the porch lights are turned on - no light to save a life.

I like the cfl flood light I put into the pantry. Always cool. Very bright. And the floods seem to light faster than other cfl.

I have LED's in the hallway. We use 2 bulbs in three holders. There is ample light. Runs cool.

Mart> >>>

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Martin Eastburn wrote in news:En7Mw.4249$ snipped-for-privacy@fx20.iad:

Speaking of bugs, we replaced incandescant bulbs with LEDs in one outdoor fixture. The second fixture (identical, about 20' away) had LEDs. The fixture with LEDs attract fewer bugs. I didn't count or anything, but the difference was plain to see.

LED lights aren't supposed to attract mosquitos, either, but I heard that on TV and you know you can't be wrong on TV...

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

But wait! Act now, and you'll get twice as many...

Reply to
Swingman

Going to search these out. Even though I've had to stand too close to drummers for too many years, I've got some the 4' BORG fixtures that are humming B flat loud enough for me to hear them.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Reply to
Swingman

How did you cut them into thirds?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Now that you mention that.....I have noticed that there are little to no bugs that collect around our coach lights at our driveway. About a year ago I put in LED bulbs. I wonder too if it is not only the light but also the warmth that incandescent lights put out that may attract the critters.

Reply to
Leon

And hear I thought they sounded like A sharp. :-p

Reply to
-MIKE-

No need to make an cuts. You just multiplex them. When you walk down the hall, you bring a bulb with you. With two bulbs and three fixtures you don't have any darkness when moving the lights. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Just because one forgot to put 'each' -

2 bulbs each in three holders. 2 x 3 = 6.

One can cut them into 1/3 power easily :-)

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

We move in and changed the stupid lights into something one can read and see on the walls. First we had normal bulbs of 40 watts, then 60 watts then 40 watt and an LED and now modern LED and modern LED in each with an effective 60 watt light with nominal wattage used.

Slowly going through the house. The library will be last as we have replacement bulbs already and will run through them first unless I need to make a heater box :-)

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Martin Eastburn wrote in news:WEtMw.12880 $ snipped-for-privacy@fx23.iad:

Yes, but who would take the cubed root of a light bulb?

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

And always remember when crossing the street: C sharp or B flat.

Reply to
DerbyDad03