De Dietrich Oven

We have had a De Dietrich oven since 2004, and recently it has started to behave a little strangely. The interior light stays on even when the oven is turned off, and the self-cleaning heaters never heat up. I asked De Dietrich for a wiring diagram and a manual, but they won't let me have them, and only want to set up a service visit, at presumably a huge cost. Does anyone have any knowledge of these things? I am perfectly competent with electrical troubleshooting, but need to have some information to work with. All the internal wires are unlabelled! We recently had some power problems in the area, due to a contractor damaging some overhead cables, so it is possible that a spike may have hit it and damaged something.
--
Davey.

On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 12:29:17 +0000

Follow-up to my own post: I called the service place at the number that they gave me. and a full service, incl. call-out, labour, parts and VAT is £178. Sounds like a bargain, and it comes with a 1-year warranty.
--
Davey.

sounds to me like at least half the price of a new oven...
Jim K
On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 07:03:14 -0700 (PDT)

The oven was sold by a trade supplier in 2004 for the sum of £549. I shudder to think what that would be today, I'll look it up when I get the chance. The previous one, we bought second hand, and it was 26 years old when it finally gave up the ghost.
--
Davey.

Davey put finger to keyboard:

Sounds like the door switch is faulty & the oven thinks it is always open, hence the permanently on light and the lack of self-cleaning - the door must lock due to the high temperatures and if the oven can't determine that the door is closed it won't lock it.
On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 15:17:47 +0000 (UTC)

I had had the same thought, but I couldn't even find the door switch, looking from the front. I'm going with the service call, as mentioned elsewhere. If I didn't need the oven to be serviceable, then I might be more d-i-y-ish, but it is the only one we have, and I can't afford to have it hanging around in pieces for long.
--
Davey.

On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 17:03:39 +0000

They came, they installed, they tested, and they left. All in about forty-five minutes. The switch was a part of the larger door interlock component, the whole of which was replaced. The reason I couldn't see it was because the little lever had broken off, and looking at the old one, I have no idea how I would have gone about repairing it had I known what it should have looked like.
--
Davey.

so what was the "full service" bit then?
Jim K

My washing machine and the cooker sometimes do very odd things. I have found that unplugging them for a short while and then plugging them back in somehow cures the problem. Try it ..
On Monday, 25 March 2013 12:29:17 UTC, Davey wrote:

OK cured my DMP404 which the upper oven wasn't heating up. The light was st uck on all the time and the internal fan inside the oven was not turning on when the door was closed. This all turned out to be the double action swit ch on the top left hand side.if you look in the corner you will see a fork like lever with a seperate hook in the middle. The outer fork part presses up against the oven door when it is shut. The inner part is a hook which is only engaged when the pyro clean function is turned on. This hook is actua ted by a stepper motor inside the top of the oven. All I had to do was turn the mains off slide the oven out, remove two screws and slide the top tin back the reveal this assembly. This is held in by a single torx screw.Once removed slid the switch assembly towards the back of the oven to lift it ou t. Cleaning this up and slightly bending the steel plate it slots into at t he front was all that was required to make it engage properly when the door was closed. You can test if this is the problem if you turn the oven on a low heat and depress the forks with your fingers. You will hear a relay cli ck and the oven fan start.
On Fri, 06 Jun 2014 03:04:08 -0700, dave wrote:

^^^^
Did you miss this bit? I expect he's fixed it by now! :)
--

TOJ.

On Fri, 06 Jun 2014 10:54:08 GMT

Yes, I have, and it wasn't what was described there! It needed a new tiny lever that dropped down at the upper right of the door opening, which had snapped off. But when it was broken off, there was no obvious sign that there should have been anything there, if you didn't already know. But to replace the lever, it needed a new switch/lock assembly, which was installed, by appointment, by a pair of engineers, who checked the whole thing out afterwards, and then left me a happy customer.
--
Davey.

Did anyone take any photos if the offending parts?
On Monday, 25 March 2013 12:29:17 UTC, Davey wrote:

On Mon, 16 Feb 2015 09:41:13 -0800 (PST) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

This is old, old. The problem was caused by a broken lever on the door switch.
--
Davey.