electric oven-cable size

A friend is having his flat rewired and I poked my nose in to have a look. Was suprised to see a standard switched twin socket outlet used below counter level to supply what will be slot-in type electric oven. It does seem like a dedicated supply, i.e its on its own cable, but the cable only looks like same size as all the other ring circuit cable, i.e 2.5mm.I was also expecting to see an fused switched isolator above counter level for the oven outlet. Is this correct ?
dave wrote:

If its an over/grill yes it is, you only need higher current available for a cooker where more than one element is on at a time, i.e. hob and oven/grill.... IIRC there was a baby bellend that needed a cooker supply as it was "all on" capable, where as most baby bellends were "selected on" and could use a 13a plugtop for supply.
Niel.
On 26 Apr 2004 13:12:57 -0700, in uk.d-i-y snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net (dave) strung together this:

A new single convection oven will only consume about 2-2.5kw so it can be spurred of the kitchen ring. It doesn't need a dedicated supply. It does need an isolator in an accessible position though, but this can be a standard 13A fused and switched spur.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
snipped-for-privacy@microsoft.com (Lurch) wrote in message

Thanks for the replies
The oven has a rating of 3Kw. Under what circumstances would you have to use a greater cable. If he has to sign off the job himself i.e issue a certificate, then who gets to check what he has done is correct?

An electric oven should have it's own 6mm circuit. Normal sockets are 2.5mm cable. You will notice the size of the cable the oven comes with. You shouldn't be connecting that to a smaller size!

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 21:42:44 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "Peter In Knowsley"
No it shouldn't

Yes, they do.

If it comes with cable that is, You're thinking of 7\8 kW ovens, these need a 32A supply and don't generally come with a cable fitted.

Unless it's suitably rated.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

If the oven was more than 3 kW you'd have to have a seperate radial circuit for it.

No-one physically checks it, or at least it's highly unlikely. If he's signing off the job as safe and completed then he must be a competent person, although without knowing the bloke I don't really know, but he should be.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.