Plastering queires.

What am I doing wrong? Cracks are appearing in base coat plaster as it sets/dries. The surface was primed with PVA beforehand. It's not a big problem but I don't think it's right.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Out of date plaster or dirt in the mix making it go off too quickly?

Mark

Reply to
Mark Walters

Plaster coat too thick?

Reply to
Paper2002AD

Another cause of this is lack of water causing the plaster to dry. when i had this problem, i sprayed some water onto the wall before plastering and it was then ok

Reply to
Shabs

Had this with pva'd wall, brand new plaster etc. solved it by sparying the plaster repeatedly as the walls were sucking the water out too fast no matter how wet they were beforehand.

Try a patch and keep spraying it to see if that helps.

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

This sounds like the best explanation of what was happening, new plaster, PVAed wall, clean bucket and tools. The cracks weren't that big I was just surprised there were any.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Most plaster is sold to the trade and geared for use in unheated housing. If you use old plaster or use the water that you washed the last mix out with to wet the wall when you trowel it up, the stuff goes off quicker. Useful tip if you have a small room to do.

Most pros will do two walls at a time, some can even start another two off while they are waiting for these to set. If their labourer lets them down with old plaster or dirty water there will be a hell of a fight. I am not joking.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil