Vented vs pressurised combi boilers

A son who thinks that I'm the font of all wisdom has asked my opinion on the above matter.

Naturally I don't want to disillusion him, can anyone give me the lowdown please?

It doesn't have to be in simple language which this little white haired old lady can understand, techie talk will be fine.

Please don't let me down ... :-)

Thanks in advance,

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Usually not that much choice - most seem to be pressurised these days.

From an operational perspective, pressurised are easier to fill etc.

There are various other pros and cons in Ed Sirett's FAQ.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Thanks, Andy, I'll have a look.

Er - where do I find it, please?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Alistair

There is a URL in his signature..

Ed does heating installation and maintenance for a living, as does John Stumbles. Both are CORGI registered and know their stuff. Plus they are both nice guys who drink beer (the proper stuff that we have down here) and I am pretty sure take good care of their customers.

That wins my vote of confidence.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I certainly have confidence in ed, can't remember details about John.

But we have wonderful and proper beer up here too ... if you only know of T*tl*ys you're missing Life :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Well.... yes... I have enjoyed the odd pint on visits to God's Own Country where you live..... :-)

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I should think so too!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

See below. I don't think there are any combis which I have ever seen or know of which have an open vented primary circuits.

The issue is only one that occurs in relation to non-combi boilers. Most modern boilers can have sealed primary circuits at least as an option, some are intended to be used that way, some are reproductions of dated designs and can't be used that way.

NB. Whether the boiler uses a sealed primary circuit is a seperate issue from whether it is a combi boiler. The case for the former is strong (but not absolute), the case for the latter is very much a metter of preferences, technicalities and circumstances and compromises.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I've just sent the relevant part of the FAQ to son, I'll send the above too.

Thank you, Ed.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

A few new designs can be both: Glow Worm, Keston, for e.g.

Reply to
IMM