Biscuit joints

Biscuit joints - any good for making a pair of half glazed doors each 1 ft wide?

Reply to
Paper2002AD

As in full door height?

Yes you could.

I made a similar sized frame for another purpose recently with timber approx 35mm thick.

I cut two sets of slots (4 in total) at each corner, working from each side - i.e. two deep and two side by side.

The important things are:

- Make sure that the mating surfaces are smooth and square.

- You will need a flat surface on which to set it all out for gluing, and some good clamps. I used a large workbench and Bessey K-clamps. These can be set out on the bench on their backs with jaws pointing upwards..

- I use a good aliphatic glue like Titebond, making sure that all surfaces are properly coated.

- After assembly, check for squareness in both planes - i.e. square shape and no twist on the frame.

With a bit of care, this produces good results.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

You'd need a hell of a lot of biscuits to make a full size door, and a huge amount of glue to stick them altogether with. Could be a bit messy.

Any particular reason you don't want to use regular planks of wood to make this door???? ;)

PoP

Reply to
PoP

I agree, and I think if you were to make a joint out of biscuits you would have trouble smoking it and I doubt it would have any effect anyway!

Reply to
Ric